These vegan Za’atar Breadsticks are the perfect party snack. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. So yummy! And you’ll only need 6 ingredients!
These simple vegan Za’atar Breadsticks are actually not hard to make at all, of course, you’ll need some time to let the dough rise, but other than that, they are hardly any work! I can only recommend giving these a try, especially if you’re a fan of the za’atar spice blend – like me.
The idea of Za’atar Breadsticks came to me when I was thinking about a new snack for a party. I didn’t want to serve the same old (but still awesomely delicious) crackers, so breadsticks popped into my mind. I actually ended up serving crackers & breadsticks – because there’s never too much food at parties, or is it?
So what is Za’atar?
Za’atar is a traditional herb and spice blend of the Eastern Mediterranean cuisine. It’s a mix of dried sumac berries, marjoram, thyme, basil, oregano, white sesame seeds and himalayan pink salt. There are a few different za’atar spice mixes out there, but basically these are the usual ingredients. You can buy Za’atar for example here.
The process is fairly simple. Once you have a smooth & risen dough, roll it out (like pizza), brush it with olive oil and sprinkle it with the Za’atar spice blend.
Then you can cut the dough in strips – this works best with a pizza cutter. You can create really long breadsticks, or you can cut them in half too if you want shorter ones. I cut them in half because otherwise, they would have been too long to fit into any nice glasses/jars I had at home.
These are the breadsticks after baking: They are perfectly crisp on the outside, soft & chewy on the inside.
Vegan Za'atar Breadsticks
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and instant yeast. Then add the olive oil and water. Stir to combine, then knead with your hands (or use a kitchen machine with a dough hook) until it's a smooth dough. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour; if it's too crumbly, add more water.
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let it sit in a warm place until it doubles in size (for about 1-2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 250 °C or 480 °F.
- Roll out the dough on a floured baking sheet, like you would with pizza, and brush the dough with the olive oil. Sprinkle the za'atar on top.
- With a pizza cutter, cut the dough in strips. Pop it in the oven for about 15 minutes, until it gets a nice golden color. Carefully break them apart and done!
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you do give these vegan Za’atar Breadsticks a try, please let me know how they turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3