You will love this recipe for a vegan Chicken Garlic Slaw Burger made with homemade pretzel buns, garlic slaw, and seasoned TVP “chicken-style” slices! Delicious!
Burger time is here! Remember the Garlic Slaw I posted a couple of days ago? Turns out, it’s delicious in a burger as well – especially together with TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) “chicken style” slices. The crunchy garlic slaw and the soft, well-seasoned TVP slices go well together. Put that all in a homemade pretzel bun topped with seeds and I’m in heaven!
The great thing about TVP is that you can season it however you want to. I used paprika, salt and curry powder, which is my go-to seasoning. Feel free to experiment! :) If you can’t find any TVP in the stores, you could substitute them with your favorite vegan chicken-style products. There are so many of them out there nowadays, how time’s changing!
I love TVP for various reasons:
- you can store it for forever – the shelf life is amazing!
- it’s relatively neutral, so you can give it the taste you want! Season it well and it will be delicious :)
- it’s great for creating “meaty” dishes – without the animal cruelty.
- it’s high in protein!
- and it’s usually cheap! (depending on the availability and where to buy it)
Check out my other recipes using TVP products (slices, strips, granule).
More Vegan Burger Recipes
- 20+ Delicious Vegan Burger Recipes
- Vegan Falafel Burger
- Green Veggie Burger
- Vegan Mushroom Burger
- Vegan Fish Burger
I hope you enjoy this burger as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Vegan "Chicken" Garlic Slaw Burger
- Prepare your Garlic Slaw and Pretzel Buns.
- For the vegan chicken slices, heat water in a big pot and toss the TVP slices in there once it's boiling. When the TVP slices are soft, drain them and gently press the water out of them.
- Add olive oil to a large pan, so it's coated on the bottom (you can use less if you use a non-stick pan), heat it up and add the spices. Tilt the pan, so that the oil takes up all the spices. Add in the TVP slices and pan-fry them on medium to high heat until brown on both sides.
- Assemble your burgers & enjoy!