The best Green Veggie Burger ever! The veggie patty uses potatoes and broccoli as a base, sunflower seeds and oats are added for texture and binding. These don’t fall apart! You can pan-fry them, grill them or bake them!
In the last couple of years of being vegan, I had my fair share of veggie burgers. Some of them fell apart, some were mushy in the middle, or they just didn’t taste that exciting. So with the goal in mind to create the ultimative, delicious but not too complicated burger patty, I came up with this Green Veggie Burger and it is everything I ever wanted.
I LOVE broccoli, so of course, they had to go in. Potatoes are great for the base because they are great binder – especially together with the rolled oats. The caramelized onion and garlic are for a deeper flavor. The sunflower seeds are for texture. And that’s pretty much it. The Best Green Vegan Burger ever.
The perfect veggie patties need of course the perfect setting. Served in homemade Pretzel rolls, together with green leafy salad, cucumber slices and creamy avocado slices. Who needs sauce if there’s avocado?!
- 4 medium-large potatoes, peeled and halved
- ½ broccoli, broken down in florets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- olive oil for the pan
- 4 Pretzel Rolls
- leafy lettuce
- cucumber slices
- avocado slices
- For the patties, boil the potatoes. Shortly before they're done, add in the broccoli. Cook until potatoes and broccoli are soft. Transfer them in a large bowl and mash them up. Add salt.
- In a pan, caramelize the diced onion and minced garlic. Add them to the potato & broccoli mash. Add the rolled oats and sunflower seeds and give it a good mix. Let it cool down and form four large patties.
- Prepare a lightly oiled pan and pan-fry the patties on medium heat until they are golden and crispy on both sides.
- Assemble your burgers: Bottom pretzel roll, leafy lettuce, veggie patty, cucumber slices, avocado slices and top pretzel roll. Enjoy!
If you give this recipe a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3