Recipe for a vegan Falafel Burger with avocado sauce, spinach & homemade burger buns (pretzel style). This is the ultimate flavor explosion for falafel-lovers.
Falafel aka chickpea goodness are awesome as they are already but Falafel in a burger are super-duper-amazing! For these vegan Falafel Burgers, I’ve made some homemade pretzel buns. And I topped the buns with black and white sesame seeds and poppy seeds. Because the more seeds = the better.
This Falafel Burger is a real flavor explosion. I love the creaminess of the avocado sauce, the crispiness of the falafel patties and the freshness of the spinach and arugula.
These Falafel Burgers make an excellent dinner or lunch. When you prepare your next huge batch of Falafel, why not use a part of the chickpea mash for falafel patties? You can freeze them and use them in this burger the next time. This saves a lot of time.
For these Falafel patties, we’re using dried chickpeas, soaked in water overnight, rinsed, drained and cooked until soft. If you want to use canned chickpeas, I’d recommend sticking to this recipe (of course you can omit the collard greens).
Vegan Falafel Burger with avocado sauce, spinach and homemade burger buns
Ingredients for the Falafel Patties
Ingredients for the avocado sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
Ingredients for the rest of the burger
- 4 pretzel buns
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup arugula
Directions for the Falafel Patties
- Put the dried chickpeas in a large bowl, cover with enough water (the chickpeas will double in size!) and let them sit covered overnight. The next day, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Cook them until soft. I've used my instant pot and used the 'beans' setting.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Add all the ingredients for the falafel patties into a food processor and process until combined.
- With the chickpea mixture, form 4 patties. If the falafel mixture does not stick together enough, add more chickpea flour, if it's too dry, add a splash of water or more oil.
- Put the falafel patties on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and them spray/brush with oil. Bake them in the oven for about 25 minutes flipping them halfway through.
Directions for the Avocado Sauce
- Peel and pit the avocado, put the avocado flesh in a food processor. Add the salt, lime juice, and ground pepper. Process until it's a smooth sauce. Taste and add more salt or lime juice to taste.
Assemble your burgers
- Slice the Burger Buns open. Add the Falafel patty*, avocado sauce, spinach and arugula and top it with the top of the burger bun. Enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Have you tried the vegan Falafel Burger? Let me know! Leave me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3