Recipe for a vegan Falafel Burger with avocado sauce, spinach & homemade burger buns. Flavor explosion for the falafel-lover.
Falafel aka chickpea goodness are awesome as they are already. But Falafel in a burger are super-duper-amazing! For these vegan Falafel Burgers I’ve made some homemade burger buns with different flours. I used a mix of all-purpose, buckwheat and spelt flour. The burger buns got topped with poppy seeds & white sesame. This Falafel Burger are a real flavor-explosion. I love the creaminess of the avocado, the crispiness of the falafels and the freshness of the spinach.
These Falafel Burgers make an excellent dinner or lunch. When you prepare your next huge batch of Falafel, why not make with part of the chickpea mash Falafel patties? You can freeze them and use them in this burger the next time. This saves a lot of time. For the burger buns you could also use the Seeded Burger Buns recipe if you want to use all-purpose-flour only. Or if you don’t feel like making your own burger buns, use vegan store-bought ones.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Put the dry chickpeas in a large bowl, cover with enough water (the chickpeas will double in size!) and let them sit covered overnight.
- On the next day pre-heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Peel the onion and garlic clove. Put them in a food processor and chop.
- In a non-stick pan slowly caramelize the chopped onions, garlic & cumin, put the lid on and let them on low heat for about 10-15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile drain the chickpeas and add them to the food processor and chop until the pieces are really small (you don't want to make hummus). Add in the cilantro to chop it as well. Transfer everything to a huge bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, cayenne pepper, salt, ground pepper, baking powder and the caramelized onions and garlic. Mix well.
- Add in the chickpea flour and water.
- Mix the chickpea mixture well and form 4 patties. If the dough does not stick together enough, add more chickpea flour and water.
- Put the falafel patties on a baking tray and put them in the oven for about 25 minutes or until they turn golden.
- For the dough you have different options: You can let a bread baking machine or a kitchen machine knead the dough for you or you can mix all the ingredients for the dough and knead it by hand until a soft dough firms.
- Let it sit, covered under a clean kitchen towel, until it doubles in size (about 1-2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 250 °C or 482 °F.
- Cut the dough in four equal pieces and form the burger buns.
- Mix all the seeds in a shallow plate.
- Brush the top of the burger buns with water and dip the burger buns in the seeds, place it back onto the baking sheet.
- Carve the surface of the dough lightly with a knife.
- Then put the burger buns in the oven and bake them for about 15-25 minutes. The surface should have a bit of a golden color.
- Peel and pit the avocado, put the avocado flesh in a food processor. Add the salt & lime juice & ground pepper. Let it chop until completely fine. Taste and add more salt & lime juice to taste.
- Wash the spinach.
- Slice the Burger Buns open. Add the Falafel patty*, avocado sauce & spinach and top it with the top of the burger bun.
*To re-heat leftover falafel, simply pan-fry them to make them warm again.
Should you decide to give this Falafel Burger a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3