Recipe for delicious, fluffy Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes with chocolate chips. No eggs. No dairy. It’s the perfect fall breakfast!
There’s nothing better than to start the day with a stack of fluffy pancakes. Inspired by the cold temperatures lately, I’ve created these fall-esque vegan pancakes with sweet potato and chocolate chips. I’m absolutely thrilled with how they turned out, so of course, I have to share the recipe with you.
I usually use mashed bananas in my pancakes like in these Banana Bread Pancakes or Fluffy Vegan Banana Pancakes, but mashed sweet potato makes a great alternative. Sweet potatoes aren’t as sweet as very ripe bananas, so we’ll add a bit more maple syrup than usually. I love the orange color the sweet potatoes give the pancakes – it looks so nice with the chocolate chips!
This is how the batter should look like. It’s a thick pancake batter. You can always add more flour (if the batter spreads too much in the pan) or more plant-based milk (if it doesn’t spread enough).
I don’t have a pancake griddle, so I’m using a ceramic-coated flat pan (it’s a pan for making crepes). Spray or brush the pan with oil (e.g. coconut or canola oil work fine!) to avoid the pancakes sticking to the pan.
Especially for these Sweet Potato Pancakes, it’s important to cook them over medium heat and to give them enough time to cook all the way through. They’re good to flip when the sides set and you can see tiny bubbles in the middle.
That drizzle, though! I love maple syrup.
Fluffy Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes
Ingredients for the pancakes
- 1 cup sweet potato
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk e.g. oat milk
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup + more for drizzling on top
- 1 teaspoon canola oil + more for spraying the pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons dairy-free chocolate chips
- Cut the sweet potato into cubes. Boil 1 cup of cubed sweet potato in water until soft (approx. 20 minutes).
- In a bowl, mash the cubed sweet potato and add the plant-based milk, maple syrup, and canola oil. Give it a quick whisk.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the wet ingredients. Whisk until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips. Let the batter sit for a few minutes.
- Spray a flat pan or griddle with oil and heat it up to medium to low heat. Add a small ladle of pancake batter*. Let it cook until the middle becomes bubbly and the corners set, then flip with a spatula. Let it cook on the other side until done. Repeat for all the pancakes. You should be able to get 8 pancakes out of the batter.
- Stack the pancakes and drizzle with maple syrup. Enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Looking for more Vegan Pancake Recipes?
Here you go:
If you want to see a specific pancake recipe on the blog, let me know in the comments! :)