This vegan peanut butter curry with veggies and tofu is such a comfort food! Serve it with basmati rice and fresh cilantro.
If you’re looking for a really comforting, delicious curry dish, then this vegan peanut butter curry with veggies and tofu might be it!
I first published this recipe in 2014 (!). I just can’t believe how long I’ve been doing this whole blogging-thing already. It’s still such a good recipe! And now it has gotten some shiny new photos. So I hope you like it! :)
I love this peanut butter curry for many reasons:
- It’s versatile. You can use whatever veggies you have at home (broccoli, sweet potato,.. would be really good too!) and you can sub the tofu with tempeh, TVP, or seitan.
- The sauce is really easy to make. You just need peanut butter and coconut milk.
- It’s SO comforting! It’s like giving yourself a hug and telling yourself that everything will be okay in the end. And I know we all need this from time to time, am I right?
How to make a Peanut Butter Curry
- firm tofu
- veggies: onion, carrot, cauliflower, spinach – of course, you can mix and match the veggies with whatever you have at home
- peanut butter – I am using smooth, 100% peanut butter made from peanuts and nothing else.
- full-fat coconut milk
- oil – I am using canola oil
- soy sauce
The basic steps
More Vegan Curry Recipes
- 15 Amazing Vegan Curry Recipes
- Vegan Fish Curry
- Tofu Cashew Curry
- Aloo Palak – Potato Spinach Curry
- Vegan Coconut Curry with Crispy Tofu
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy this peanut butter curry as much as I did! Let me know if you give it a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it’s worth a try!
Vegan Peanut Butter Curry
- 1/2 block tofu
- 2 teaspoons canola oil divided
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 red onion halved and sliced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 carrot sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- Cut the tofu into slices, then into strips. In a large pan with oil and soy sauce over medium to high heat, add the tofu and let it cook with the lid on (it's splashy!) until it’s brown and crispy. Flip and let it cook on the other side as well. Set the tofu aside on a plate.
- Into the same pan, add the onion, carrots, and cauliflower. Add half a cup of water, let it cook with the lid on until the water is gone, then add a splash of oil and let the veggies cook without the lid on until slightly browned. Add the spinach, cook until wilted, then scrape the veggies to the side of the pan.
- Add the coconut milk and peanut butter. Stir to combine, then combine the sauce with the veggies.
- Lastly, add in the tofu that we made earlier. Combine everything. Add salt.
- Serve the curry over basmati rice and add fresh cilantro on top.