Bread Dumplings are traditional Austrian dumplings, made out of stale bread or bread cubes. They are often served with Goulash or other creamy sauces.
Bread Dumplings, in german Semmelknödel, are a typically Austrian/Bavarian food. They are often used as a side dish with stews, goulash or eaten with other kinds of saucy dishes.
I love to make them especially for festive events like Thanksgiving or Christmas. They are also a very suitable side dish for seitan roasts!
Traditionally they were made out of stale white bread, but nowadays store-bought dried bread cubes are usually used for these dumplings. Bread Dumplings are such a comfort dish. I know, they are not the prettiest, but they are damn tasty!
The Bread Dumplings are practically dumplings of bread stuffings typically for Thanksgiving. You can form smaller dumplings or larger ones. But if they are larger you have to keep them longer in the steamer.
One of my favorite ways to eat them is, together with a rich & creamy mushroom sauce.
I’ve had the best results with steaming the Bread Dumplings. Many people boil them, but steaming is really the easiest method, because you can’t really overcook them and they’re not that soggy afterwards.
Vegan Bread Dumplings
- 6 cups dried bread cubes or old white bread cubed
- 1 cup rice milk unsweetened
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- Prepare your steamer. I heated a big pot of water with a steamer on top.
- In a large mixing bowl add the dried bread cubes / cubed white bread and pour over a cup of plant-based milk. Mix. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. The bread cubes should get softer.
- Peel the garlic and onion and chop it in a food processor.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 teaspoon of canola oil in a pan and add the chopped onion, garlic, and cumin seeds. Let it roast until it gets a nice golden color.
- Then transfer the onion-garlic-mixture to the bread cubes, add the salt, chopped parsley, pepper and nutmeg and mix well. Let it cool off for a couple of minutes until cold enough to handle.
- Form bread dumplings with your hands. (Add more rice milk or if it doesn't stick together.)
- Place the dumplings into the steamer and let it steam for about 30-45 minutes.
- Take them out and enjoy them for example with Homemade Pumpkin Goulash!