I’m sure you know by now that I LOVE homemade bread. The best part of making your own baked goods is that you can adapt it however you want and that meant seeds on my burger buns! I’ve always had problems with the seeds falling off after I baked the bread but I’ve used a super magic trick that will prevent that (it’s in the instructions).
I’ve made 8 burger buns, you can make larger ones or smaller ones – whatever you like!
Here I’m applying the super secret ingredient to make the seeds stick to the bread after baking (spoiler alert: it’s not glue).
If you use a more shallow dish it won’t be that difficult taking out the dough again.
I love seeds, so I added black & white sesame seeds and poppy seeds. You can sub them with your favorite seeds or leave them out completely.
Carve the surface a bit, so they won’t pop up on the sides.
- 4 cups / 500g all-purpose flour
- 1 package / 7g active dry yeast
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1¼ cups / 300ml lukewarm water
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon water
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- For the dough you have different options: You can let a bread baking machine or a kitchen machine knead the dough for you or you can mix all the ingredients for the dough and knead it by hand until a soft dough firms.
- Let it sit, covered under a clean kitchen towel, until it doubles in size (about 1-2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 250 °C or 482 °F.
- Cut the dough in eight equal pieces and form the burger buns.
- Mix all the seeds in a shallow plate.
- Mix the cornstarch with ½ teaspoon of water until smooth and brush it onto the buns.
- Place the buns with the brushed side down in the seeds and put them back on the baking sheet.
- Carve the surface of the dough lightly with a knife.
- Then put the burger buns in the oven and bake them for about 15 minutes. They surface should have a bit of color.
Should you decide to give these Seeded Burger Buns a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3