Banana bread is always a good use for overripe bananas. But this vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread is everything you’ve ever wanted! Drizzle it with more peanut butter sauce, just because!
In this recipe, I’ve combined two of my recent food addictions: Banana Bread and the magical combination of chocolate and peanut butter. The chocolate banana bread has peanut butter swirls on top and if that wasn’t enough, you’ll end up with more peanut butter sauce than you need for the swirls – so drizzling more peanut butter sauce on top is the way to go. You’re welcome! ;)
The banana bread is moist, luscious and sweetened only with bananas and maple syrup.
It does not contain eggs or dairy. But you won’t notice the difference. It’s just as delicious, soft and fluffy! People always ask me how I can bake without eggs, I just don’t use them, that’s how ;) I don’t know why everyone thinks you need eggs to bake. The bananas in this recipe will do the trick just fine. You don’t need eggs or any weird egg-replacement for binding.
If you’re a lover of chocolate and peanut butter, this one’s for you.
How to check if the banana bread is done
There’s a simple trick to how to check if your banana bread is baked all the way through. Use a thin wooden stick or toothpick and stick it into the center of your banana bread. If it comes out clean – with only a few crumbs on it – it’s done. If it comes out with batter on it – bake it longer and try it again later. You can read more about the kitchen hack and see it explained with photos here.
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk e.g. rice milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil , liquid
- 1/4 cup maple syrup *
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or use all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
Ingredients for the peanut butter sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- hot water to thin it out
- Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°C and line a loaf pan** with parchment paper.
- Peel the bananas, add them to a large bowl and mash them. To the bananas, add the plant-based milk, coconut oil and maple syrup. Give it a quick mix.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt to the wet ingredients and whisk everything together.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- For the peanut butter sauce, simply whisk together the peanut butter and maple syrup and thin it out with hot water until drizzable. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the sauce to the batter in the loaf pan and swirl around a bit.
- Bake it in the oven for about 1 hour or until golden brown on the top. You can use a wooden stick to test if your banana bread is done in the middle.
- Drizzle with more peanut butter sauce before serving!
Did you make this vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!
More Banana Bread Deliciousness!