These Veggie Summer Rolls with a creamy Peanut Wasabi Sauce are perfect for hot days. They are vegan and gluten-free, made with simple ingredients and you won’t need a stove to make them!
Things I love about the summer:
- ice cream and popsicles (obviously!)
- gardening (#sorrynotsorry for all the plant spam on IG stories)
- wearing pretty dresses without having to wear a jacket in the evenings
- drinking thai coconuts on the balcony and having a casual luau-party with friends
- hiding behind sunglasses and avoiding eye contact in public transport (yep, I’m that person)
- planning spontaneous trips because I have more free time in the summer months
- aaand summer rolls – which brings us to this recipe.
I really love summer rolls (is it weird to remember the first summer roll experience like it was yesterday even though it was years ago?). Since I’ve moved last year, I have so much more space for my plants and I even got me a thai basil plant this year. If you order summer rolls at restaurants, they usually add in thai basil and it accounts to that authentic taste – it tastes a bit like anise.. a bit like licorice.. it’s hard to tell exactly, but if you taste it, you know it’s THAT flavor.
So with this new basil plant at home, it was time for a new Summer Roll recipe. These Veggie Summer Rolls are filled with carrots, cucumber, red bell pepper, avocado, rice noodles, salad (from the garden!) and of course the thai basil. They are served with a spicy Peanut Wasabi Sauce and sprinkled with black and white sesame seeds. Isn’t peanut sauce the best dip for summer rolls?!
- 1.5 ounces (45g) rice noodles
- 6 rice paper wrappers
- 1 carrot
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cucumber
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups salad leaves
- 1/2 cup thai basil
- black and white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- hot water to thin out the sauce (I added 1/4 cup because I keep the peanut butter in the fridge)
- roasted chopped peanuts
- For the peanut wasabi sauce, whisk the ingredients together in a bowl. Top with roasted chopped peanuts.
In a deep dish soak the rice noodles in hot water until soft, then drain and rinse them under cold water. Set aside.
Meanwhile prep all your veggies: Julienne-slice the carrots, peel and slice the avocado, cut the cucumber and bell pepper in thin strips, thinly slice the salad.
Let one rice wrapper after another soak in warm water until they're soft and transfer it on a moist plate.
Start by placing thai basil, then carrots, bell pepper, cucumber, avocado, salad and rice noodles in the middle. Fold in the sides and roll it in as tight as possible. To make it super pretty, you can cut off the overlapping part of the rice paper as you roll it in.
Repeat for the other summer rolls & sprinkle them with black and white sesame seeds.
Did you make these Veggie Summer Rolls? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!