If you’ve ever wondered how to make rice healthier and more nutritious, how to add more color and flavor, then this easy Broccoli Rice is the solution! Give it a try and you’ll never want to make rice any other way!
Rice is one of my go-to side dishes when I’m making ‘meaty’ or ‘fishy’ meals. By adding broccoli to the rice, you can take this simple side dish to the next level.
Broccoli Rice is super quick and easy to make. You can prepare the broccoli while the rice cooks, so it doesn’t take any longer than regular rice.
Broccoli adds such a beautiful vibrant green color and it adds flavor. Broccoli makes the rice more nutritious and healthier.
Most Broccoli Rice recipes are made only with broccoli – no rice. But I prefer to mix the shredded broccoli with rice. Of course, if you are looking for a low-carb option, you can omit the rice entirely.
How to make Broccoli Rice
You will need:
- rice (I’m using parboiled rice because it doesn’t stick together like white rice)
- lemon juice
Serve the Broccoli Rice with …
- seitan steak (as pictured above)
- banana blossom vegan fish
- tofish (vegan fish made out of tofu)
- in a burrito
- in a bowl with veggies, avocado, and tofu
Broccoli Rice FAQ
Absolutely! You can also use cauliflower or carrots instead.
You don’t have to add rice. I just prefer the mix of broccoli and rice over plain broccoli.
You don’t have to! You can leave the broccoli raw if you prefer that, or steam or bake the broccoli.
You can grate the broccoli or you can cut it with a knife until fine.
I hope you enjoy this easy recipe to make rice more awesome! Let me know if you give it a try and please leave a rating!
Easy Broccoli Rice
- 1 cup parboiled rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 head broccoli (380g)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil or any plant-based oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt and more to taste
- Cook the rice in a small pot over medium heat with the water and salt until the water has been absorbed. This takes approx. 15 minutes.
- Cut the broccoli into florets. Wash them. Place the broccoli florets into a food processor and pulse until they’re shredded.
- In a large pan over medium to high heat, add the canola oil, shredded broccoli, lemon juice, and salt. Stir to combine. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes until softened but still vibrantly green.
- Add the cooked rice to the broccoli. Combine. Add more salt or lemon juice to taste and serve!
Thursday 14th of March 2019
i think new dish needs some creativity and that fully depicts in your recipe. Great!! work.
Tuesday 26th of February 2019
Amazing!! Broccoli recipe that you have shared. The use of fish i think makes this dish delicious.
Thursday 7th of February 2019
Hi I like the way that you have prepared a dish for vegan. Your dish includes both nutrition and the taste. Thanks for sharing this creative blog....
Thursday 7th of February 2019
Hi Your dish with this interesting creativity is looking very tasty with the healthy twist of broccoli. I like the way you mold the combination of rice and broccoli. I really appreciate your recipe...
Monday 4th of February 2019
EXCELLENT recipe! Very tasty and easy to make. I added s pinch of nutritional yeast to the broccoli... and the lemon just gives it the perfect twist!