Did you know you can make a delicious vegan Butter Chicken with soy curls? It’s super rich and creamy! Serve it with fluffy Garlic Naan and basmati rice for the complete Indian-inspired feast!
Every single time the temperatures drop, I’m in the mood for curries! This time I’ve veganized an all-time favorite: Butter Chicken. In many vegan versions of Butter Chicken, people are using chickpeas or tofu, but I’m using soy curls. Because I love that stuff. I always have it at home. Plus, it’s high in protein. Oh, and the texture is on point!
As with all the Indian-inspired recipes I’m posting on the blog, I have to say: I’m not Indian. I don’t have any Indian roots or anything. I would never say that anything I cook (especially no the Indian dishes) is authentic. I bet it’s not. I don’t think coconut milk is usually used in the Indian cuisine. But I’m using it in this dish. Why? Because it makes it rich and creamy. You could use unsweetened soy or oat cream instead if you have it at home. That would work too.
Serve this vegan Butter Chicken with
Vegan Butter Chicken with Soy Curls
- Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add the soy curls and let them cook until soft. Then drain them, carefully press excess water out and set them aside.
- In a large non-stick pot, add the vegan butter and bring it to high heat. Add the soy curls and spices. Stir to combine. Let them get brown and crispy spots.
- Add the shallots to the soy curls, stir. Once the shallots are soft, add the minced garlic. Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then turn down the heat to low.
- Add the tomato purée and coconut milk. Stir and add more spices to taste. I've added another 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of ginger and 1/4 teaspoon of garam masala.
- Let the curry cook until everything is hot and bubbly. Then it's ready to serve! I've made basmati rice and garlic naan to go with it, and sprinkled everything with fresh cilantro.
Did you make this vegan Butter Chicken with Soy Curls? Leave a comment and please rate the recipe for other users! If you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3