This Golden Couscous seasoned with Ras el Hanout is the perfect simple and quick side dish for BBQs and potlucks! It’s flavorful and everyone will love it!
Couscous is such a summer food for me. Not only is couscous literally the quickest side dish ever to make (boil water and let the couscous soak for 2-3 minutes, done), it’s also a great option to bring to BBQs or potlucks because it’s just as delicious when served cold.
This couscous side dish goes great with anything grilled – such as vegan sausages, burger patties, veggies, tofu, tempeh, etc.
This golden couscous gets its color and flavor from Ras el Hanout. This is a spice mix commonly used in the North African cuisine. There is no fixed list of ingredients, the blends vary from brand to brand, but typical ingredients include cardamom, cumin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, allspice, ginger, chili, coriander seed, fenugreek, and turmeric.
You can turn this side dish into a whole meal easily by adding crispy tofu or tempeh, and roasted veggies such as bell pepper, zucchini, and broccoli. It’s the perfect lunch for hot summer days!
How to make Golden Couscous
You will need:
- ras el hanout
- lemon juice
The basic steps
More vegan Couscous Recipes
- BBQ Couscous Bowl with Tofu
- Couscous-Stuffed Acorn Squash (+Video)
- Mediterranean Couscous with olives, artichokes & dried tomatoes
- Simple Onion Couscous
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this Golden Couscous as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
- Heat the water for the couscous in a large pot, add in the salt and ras el hanout.
- Once the water is boiling, take the pot off the stovetop and add in the couscous and put the lid back on (the couscous will be ready in a minute or two).
- Heat a large pan with the canola oil and cook the onions until soft and browned.
- To the couscous, add the caramelized onions, chopped parsley, and lemon juice. Stir to combine. You can serve this dish either warm or cold.