These vegan crab cakes are quick and easy to make. You will need chickpeas and artichokes for the base, nori, dill, capers and lemon juice for flavor!
More and more people are reducing or cutting out fish products from their diet. This is great because it’s the best we can do to fight overfishing, polluting the oceans (old fishing nets are one of the main sources of plastic in the ocean), and destroying the ocean grounds (bottom trawling). If you’re interested in learning more about this, I can highly recommend the documentary Seaspiracy.
And as it turns out, fishy recipes are one of my favorite things to make vegan. It’s actually really easy to bring out that specific flavor if you use a good combination of lemon juice, capers, dill, and nori.
For these vegan crab cakes, I’ve used a base of artichokes (canned in brine, not oil) and chickpeas (also canned). The artichokes will create this flaky texture while the chickpeas will make it easier for the patties to hold their shape.
There are so many amazing ways to satisfy your fish cravings without actually eating fish, such as:
- Banana Blossom Vegan Fish
- Artichoke Fish (Vegan)
- Tofish and Chips
- Vegan Fish Burger
- 15+ Vegan Fish and Seafood Recipes
And now we’re adding another fishy recipe to the mix: Vegan Crab Cakes. Let me show you how I make them!
How to make vegan Crab Cakes
- artichokes (canned in brine/water – not oil)
- chickpeas (canned)
- fresh dill
- lemon juice
- all-purpose flour
- panko flakes
- oil for the pan
- vegan mayo (to add on top)
The basic steps
Serve the vegan crab cakes with…
I’ve topped the crab cakes with vegan mayo and dill and served them with oven-baked potato slices. You could also make a crab cake sandwich or serve them over salad. You could also just eat them like that and dip them in vegan sauce tartar.
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy these vegan Crab Cakes as much as I did! Let me know if you give them a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users.
Vegan Crab Cakes
- 1/2 cup canned artichokes in brine rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill + more to add on top
- 3/4 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon crushed nori
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup panko flakes
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 teaspoons vegan mayo
- Add the artichokes, chickpeas, dill, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, capers, lemon juice, and crushed nori in a food processor and pulse. Add the all-purpose flour and pulse again.
- In a bowl, add the panko flakes, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and a pinch of turmeric. Combine.
- Shape the crab cakes into patties and carefully dip all sides in the panko flakes.
- Heat a pan with the canola oil and bring it to medium heat. Add in the crab cakes and let them cook for 5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
- Serve with a dollop of vegan mayo and more fresh dill on top.