Recipe for vegan Blueberry Lemon Streusel Muffins. The tangy lemon streusel and the sweet blueberry muffins are a match made in heaven. So easy to make and so good! Make them for your friends and family and earn hugs!
Ever since I made this Rhubarb Crumble Cake, I have a thing for streusel now. I want to put them on everything I bake in the oven. For this vegan Blueberry Lemon Streusel recipe I gave the streusel a little twist by adding freshly grated lemon zest into the mixture. The tangy lemon streusel go perfectly well with the sweet blueberry muffins. It’s a flavor combination you don’t want to miss in your life :)
These vegan Blueberry Lemon Streusel Muffins are omnivore-approved! My work colleagues loved them!
The blueberry muffin base is super easy to make – and it’s a one-bowl recipe! Simply combine the dry ingredients, then add in the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
In this recipe, I added the frozen blueberries shortly before the crumble. I’ve divided the muffin batter into the muffin liners and after that added the frozen blueberries on top. I used the end of a spoon to press them deeper into the muffin batter. My reason for doing so? I wanted to keep the light color of the muffin base. If I mix the frozen blueberries into the batter and whisk or fold, the whole batter gets a purple/blue color, which can be nice, but in this recipe I wanted to have a light muffin base.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour , sifted
- 1/3 cup granulated sweetener
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup almond milk or your favorite plant-based milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut vinegar*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/3 stick cold vegan butter (EarthBalance, Alsan,...)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour , sifted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Pre-heat oven to 360°F/180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients for the muffins (except the frozen blueberries), whisk, then add in the wet ingredients and whisk again until it's a smooth batter.
- Now is the perfect time to make the LEMON STREUSEL. Combine the butter, flour, sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl and knead with your hands until it's nice and crumbly.
- Fill the batter in muffin wrappers or use a lightly oiled muffin pan. Place a few frozen blueberries on each muffin and press them down with the end of a spoon. Sprinkle the lemon streusel on top. Put the muffins in the oven for about 20 minutes. If the streusel have a nice golden color the muffins are surely done.
- Let them cool off a bit before enjoying them!
*Coconut vinegar is mild vinegar which I prefer for my baked goods. You can substitute it with apple cider vinegar for example.
If you give these vegan Blueberry Lemon Streusel Muffins a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3