Recipe for a vegan Teriyaki Jackfruit Sushi Bowl. Pulled jackfruit slathered in teriyaki sauce is the perfect key component for this plant-based rice bowl.
I guess pretty much anyone has heard of BBQ Pulled Jackfruit already, but have you tried Teriyaki Jackfruit yet? I think with the lighter color, the pulled jackfruit looks so much like shredded chicken! I’ve had this Teriyaki Pulled Jackfruit on a simple sushi rice bowl and it was absolutely delicious. Together with wilted spinach, pickled ginger and wakame (dried seaweed) on sushi rice this pulled jackfruit makes the perfect meal.
For pulled jackfruit you want to buy the canned, unripe jackfruit in brine – make sure you buy the right one. Because I’ve bought jackfruit in syrup and thought it would work anyways – and nope. For a better texture, cut off the harder triangular parts of the jackfruit pieces, as pictured above on the right side.
Teriyaki Jackfruit Sushi Bowl
Ingredients for the teriyaki jackfruit
- 20 oz canned unripe jackfruit in brine (drained weight: 10 oz / 280g)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegan teriyaki sauce , divided + more for drizzling on top
- salt to taste
Ingredients for the sushi rice
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- ½ tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Ingredients for the rest of the bowl
Instructions for the sushi rice
- Wash the rice to remove excess starch until the water stays clear. Cook the rice with 1 1/2 cups water on medium heat until the water has been absorbed.
- Transfer the rice to a bowl and let it cool down. Once cool, add the salt, sugar and brown rice vinegar and give it a mix.
Instructions for the teriyaki jackfruit
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, remove the core of the jackfruit (harder triangular piece) for a better texture, and add the jackfruit to the pan. Pan-fry it for about 4 minutes, 1/2 tablespoon of teriyaki sauce and the water, give it a good mix and let it simmer with the lid off until the water has been absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Use two forks to shred the jackfruits and to create this typical "pulled"-look!
- Pour over 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce, give it a good mix, add salt to taste. Let it cook for another minute.
Instructions for the rest of the bowl
- Cook the spinach on low heat until wilted. Sprinkle with salt.
- Assemble your bowl. Add the rice on the bottom, place the pulled teriyaki jackfruit, spinach, pickled ginger and wakame on top and sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds.
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you give this recipe a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3