Recipe for a vegan Grilled Veggie Pizza with homemade quick yeast-free pizza crust and topped with zucchini, mushrooms, red bell pepper and red onion. No yeast = no rise = no wait. The perfect recipe for spontaneous pizza cravings! :)
Sometimes I just need a pizza fix. Fast. Like. Right now. And there’s no time to make a regular pizza dough with yeast and let it sit and rise for an hour or two. I’m sure you have no idea what I’m talking about ;) but if you’ll ever find yourself in the situation of spontaneous pizza cravings, I have the perfect homemade yeast-free vegan pizza crust recipe for you, which I’ve used for this pizza.
You’ll only need 5 very basic ingredients for the crust:
- flour (I used all-purpose flour. If you can get your hands on 00-flour that would be best for making pizza or you could also use whole wheat, spelt or a mix for making the crust more nutritious and healthier)
- baking powder (this is our leavening agent because we’re not using yeast)
- olive oil
I’ve topped this Grilled Veggie Pizza with homemade tomato sauce, vegan cheese shreds (I used the german brand Wilmersburger, but you can use any you like and have available to you, or you could use my vegan cheese sauce recipe), lots of mushrooms, red bell pepper, zucchini and red onion. What a combo!
Pro-tip: To make the crust extra crispy and flavorful, I’ve brushed the crust with olive oil (actually I’ve used olive oil with herbs from the jar of marinated artichokes) before baking. So good!
Grilled Veggie Pizza with Yeast-Free Crust
Yeast-Free Pizza Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil + more for brushing the crust
- 1/2 zucchini , sliced
- 1 red bell pepper , cut in chunks
- 5 cups mushrooms , sliced
- 1 red onion , sliced
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese shreds alternatively you can also use a homemade cheese sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- For the pizza dough: Combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and water (little by little) and knead until a smooth dough forms. You might not need all the water or add a bit more. The dough should be non-sticky. If it get's too sticky, add a bit more flour. You can either knead it by hand or let it knead in a kitchen machine.
- For the pizza sauce: Combine the tomato purée, salt, dried oregano and dried basil.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and add the zucchini, red bell pepper, mushrooms and red onion. Season with a pinch of salt and let it cook on medium to high heat until the veggies are soft.
- Pre-heat the oven to 480°F/250°C.
- Divide the pizza dough into two equal parts and roll them each out on a lightly floured parchment paper. Spread the tomato sauce on top. Cover with vegan cheese shreds and veggies. Brush the crust with olive oil (or herbed olive oil if you have one available!). Bake the pizzas in the oven for about 15 minutes until crispy. Enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this vegan Grilled Veggie Pizza? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!