May I present to you, the perfect fall pizza: Vegan Pumpkin Pizza with caramelized onions and zucchini slices. It’s so good!
This one is the ultimate fall pizza! A creamy pumpkin sauce makes the perfect base for this pizza, which is then topped with roasted zucchini and caramelized onions. You won’t miss the cheese at all because it’s so creamy and delicious.
For the pizza dough, I’ve included the recipe to make it from scratch but of course, you can use store-bought vegan pizza dough instead if you don’t want to go through the “trouble” of making your own.
As for the pumpkin sauce, I am actually using roasted butternut squash (mixed with water, lemon juice, salt), which is my favorite winter squash at the moment. But you can your favorite kind of pumpkin/squash! You can also use premade unsweetened pumpkin puree.
I’ve put roasted zucchini slices, caramelized onions but you can use this recipe simply as an inspiration as well and put on your pizza whatever you feel like and what you have at home. However, this combination goes great with the pumpkin sauce, so huge recommendation!
How to make Pumpkin Pizza
The basic steps
More vegan Pizza Recipes
- Vegan White Pizza (Pizza Bianca)
- Vegan Breakfast Pizza with tofu scramble and seitan sausages
- Mini Pretzel Pizzas with cider cheese sauce
- Grilled Veggie Pizza
- Vegan Chanterelle Pizza
- Whole Wheat Roasted Veggie & Tempeh Pizza
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy this vegan Pumpkin Pizza as much as I did!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it is worth a try!
Vegan Pumpkin Pizza
Ingredients for the homemade crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + more to dust the dough and surfaces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil + more to coat the dough
Ingredients for the pumpkin sauce *
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to sprinkle the pumpkin with
- 1 tablespoon water + more to thin out if necessary
Ingredients for the toppings
- 1 large yellow onion halved and sliced
- 14 zucchini slices
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 dash salt
- For the homemade pizza dough: Combine the flour, instant yeast, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and water. Mix and knead by hand until it's a soft, non-sticky dough or put all the ingredients in a kitchen machine and let the machine knead the dough for you. (Finetune the dough: If it's too sticky, add more flour. If it's too crumbly, add more water.) Coat the ball of dough in a drizzle of olive oil. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise until it has doubled in size (2-3 hours depending on the room temperature).Divide the dough into two balls, roll each of them out on lightly floured parchment paper until it's a nice pizza crust. Transfer them together with the parchment paper onto a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 480°F/250°C.
- For the pumpkin sauce: Cut a butternut squash/pumpkin in half, remove the seeds, brush the inside with olive oil, and salt. Bake it in the oven at 400°F/200°C for 20 minutes with the inside down, then flip and bake another 10 minutes. Then you can scoop out the soft flesh. OR cut a pumpkin/butternut in cubes (peel off the skin), coat them with olive oil and salt, then bake them in the oven for 20 minutes. Add roasted pumpkin flesh, lemon juice, salt, and water into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- For the toppings: In a large pan, add canola oil. Then roast the zucchini slices and onion rings until soft. They will cook further in the oven, so no need to brown them already.
- Spread the pumpkin sauce over the pizza crusts, add the zucchini slices and half-caramelized onions, bake the pizzas in the oven for about 10 minutes. It won’t take long if the oven is preheated. And enjoy!