Recipe for a vegan savory Potato & Spinach Strudel. It’s the perfect easy lunch/dinner recipe. Delicious with a cilantro sunflower seed dip!
Strudel (either savory or sweet like an Apple Strudel) is something we eat quite a lot here in Austria, so I thought it’s time to put a savory strudel on the blog as well. This strudel is filled with potatoes and spinach – one of my favorite combos of all time, but of course you can use other fillings as well!
I’ve used store-bought vegan puff pastry for this recipe. Puff pastry is one of the few things that I don’t want to make from scratch because I tried and I failed :D. Remember the Cilantro Lemon Sunflower Seed Dip I’ve posted? It’s the perfect sauce to serve with this vegan Potato & Spinach Strudel.
How the make a savory vegan strudel
As you can see, this Potato & Spinach Strudel is so easy to make! Prepare the filling, place it onto the puff pastry, fold it, close the edges and bake. Yumm! It’s perfect for quick lunches or dinners!
Vegan Potato & Spinach Strudel
- 2 1/2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin
- 1 red onion , chopped
- 1 vegan puff pastry dough*
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
First prepare the filling:
- Boil the potatoes in water until soft. Meanwhile heat a pan with olive oil and add the cumin and chopped onions, cook until the onion is translucent. Add the spinach to the pan, only until wilted (you don't need any heat for this). Once the potatoes are soft, drain them. And add them to the pan. Season everything with salt, mix together, and let the filling cool off.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F / 200°C.
- Place the potato & spinach filling on the puff pastry, fold it and close the edges.
- Bake it in the oven for about 25 minutes, until the puff pastry got a nice, golden color.
- Serve with a homemade Cilantro Lemon Sunflower Seed Dip, for example, and enjoy.
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you give this vegan Potato & Spinach Strudel a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3