A classic Apple Strudel – veganized! And the best part? You’ll only need three ingredients! Quick and easy to make and super delicious and soft. It’s a traditional Austrian dessert!
Only three ingredients? Now if you think this dessert tastes flat and bland – you’re wrong! It’s perfectly sweet from the apples and a bit savory from the pastry dough. It’s probably my favorite dessert ever!
It’s exactly how my mother made it for me when I was little (and she still does when I come visit) and now I’m carrying on this tradition. Its deliciousness comes from its simplicity. Some people may add raisins, additional sugar, almond slices… but I think this just distracts from the delicious taste of the apples.
Vegan Puff Pastry
Depending on where you live, vegan puff pastry might not be the easiest ingredient to get. Here in Austria, we are lucky that most of the puff pastries are accidentally vegan – some brands even embrace it and include the vegan label on the packaging, which makes it even easier to spot the vegan ones. In the US, Pepperidge Farm’s puff pastry dough should be vegan. I’d always recommend checking the ingredients though – just to be sure.
For the filling, I didn’t add any additional sweeteners – just the apples and cinnamon. So it’s essential that you use the right kind of apples, as they will make or break this recipe! I prefer to use red, sweet apples e.g. Pink Lady apples are my favorite, but Red Delicious or Royal Gala would work too!
Making Apple Strudel
The Apple Strudel is really easy to make.
- Slice the apples,
- mix with cinnamon,
- put the apple-cinnamon-mix on the puff pastry dough,
- fold and close the edges,
Easy as that!
3-Ingredient Apple Strudel
- 1 package vegan puff pastry dough*
- 2 red, sweet apples e.g. Pink Lady, Red Delicious or Royal Gala
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- powdered sugar for dusting the top (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Take the vegan pastry dough out of the fridge to thaw.
- Peel two apples, get rid of the seeds preferably with an apple corer.
- Slice the apples with a mandoline slicer or cut by hand in very thin slices.
- Add the cinnamon on the apple slices and mix well by hand. Don't worry about the apple slices breaking.
- Put the apple-cinnamon-mixture on the pastry dough and fold it in. Close the edges.
- Put the apple strudel in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Let it cool off or eat it warm. Either way -> delicious.
- You can dust it with confectioner's sugar.
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this 3-ingredient Apple Strudel? I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3