This vegan Apple Strudel is a classic traditional Austrian dessert. You’ll only need 3 ingredients to make it. The combination of puff pastry and juicy apple filling is so good and the perfect weekend treat!
Now if you think this dessert tastes bland because it uses only three ingredients- you’re wrong! It’s perfectly sweet from the apples and a bit savory from the pastry dough. It’s probably my favorite dessert ever!
It’s exactly how my mother made it for me when I was little (and she still does when I come to visit). Its deliciousness comes from its simplicity.
Some people may add raisins, additional sugar, or almond slices… but I think this just distracts from the delicious taste of the apples.
Vegan Puff Pastry
Depending on where you live, vegan puff pastry might not be the easiest ingredient to get. Here in Austria, we are lucky that most of the puff pastries are accidentally vegan – some brands even embrace it and include the vegan label on the packaging, which makes it even easier to spot the vegan ones.
In the US, Pepperidge Farm’s puff pastry dough should be vegan. I’d always recommend checking the ingredients though – just to be sure.
I didn’t add any additional sweeteners to the filling – just the apples and cinnamon. So definitely use red, sweet apples, like Pink Lady, Red Delicious or Royal Gala. If you want it sweeter, you can add a little bit of sugar to the apples slices.
How To Make Vegan Apple Strudel
As always you will find the whole recipe with measurements in the box below but I want to give you an overview of the key ingredients, variations, and the process with step-by-step photos first.
You will need:
- Puff Pastry – Make sure it’s vegan. Oftentimes the cheapest puff pastries are accidentally vegan. I’m using refrigerated puff pastry with the following dimensions: 16×9 inches or 42×24 cm. In the US: Pepperidge Farm’s puff pastry dough should be vegan (but check the ingredients to make sure!).
- Apples: The sweeter the apple, the sweeter the apple strudel. I actually used two different kinds of apples and it turned out perfect. So just use the apples that you like, as long as they are sweet. Sour or tart apples wouldn’t really be a good fit for this recipe.
- Cinnamon powder
You can add powdered sugar on top, but that is completely optional. For the first time in my life, I made powdered sugar out of granulated sugar by blending it, and it was so quick and worked perfectly well. So that I will never buy powdered sugar again. My mind is blown.
The Basic Steps
The Apple Strudel is really easy to make.
More Vegan Apple Recipes
- Vegan Apple Fritter Rings
- Apple Roses (Vegan, 5 ingredients only)
- Vegan Applesauce Pancakes
- Stewed Apples
- Vegan Apple Pie Pancakes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this easy vegan Apple Strudel as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Vegan Apple Strudel
- 1 package vegan puff pastry dough*
- 2 red, sweet apples e.g. Pink Lady, Red Delicious or Royal Gala
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- powdered sugar for dusting the top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. And take the vegan pastry dough out of the fridge to thaw.
- Remove the apple core, e.g. with an apple corer.
- Slice the apples with a mandoline slicer or a knife. Add the cinnamon.
- Give the apples and cinnamon a good mix. Don't worry about the apple slices breaking.
- Place the apple filling onto the upper part of the puff pastry but leave out the edges.
- Fold the lower part of the puff pastry over the apple filling and close the edges.
- Bake the apple strudel in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Until golden on top.
- Let it cool off or eat it warm. Either way, it's delicious. You can dust it with powdered sugar.