Recipe for vegan Mini Calzones filled with spinach, mushrooms, tomato sauce & homemade vegan cheese. They are perfect little finger foods for parties!
Calzone Party!! Oh man.. have I ever mentioned how much I love those little pockets filled with steaming hot deliciousness? My boyfriend loves those as well and he demands them on a regular basis and that’s absolutely okay with me because they are one of the awesomest things one can make in the kitchen. They are also great for parties, because people can eat them without a knife and fork and you can dip them in tomato sauce. If you want more party ideas, make sure you check out my collection of 12 vegan drinks & eats for your next party.
This is how the dough should look like. I’ve let my bread machine knead the dough, but you can use a kitchen machine as well or knead it by hand, afterwards let the dough rise until it doubles in size.
Cut the dough in 8 equal pieces. Of course you can make 2 bigger calzones instead or smaller ones.
Make cute little balls so their easier to roll out in a evenly round shape.
Roll the pieces in mini pizza bases! Use a floured surface.
Top the pizza bases on one half with tomato sauce, the filling and the nooch cheese sauce and fold it. Press the edges down. Fold them again and press them down again to make a pretty crust!
Brush them with oil. I’ve used a herb oil, but you can use olive oil, garlic oil or anything you prefer and have at home.
I’ve doubled the measurements for the tomato sauce to have something to dip the vegan Mini Calzones in afterwards. Totally worth it!
Mini Calzone dipped in a smoky tomato sauce – Yumm! But be careful, the calzones are super hot!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach
- Homemade Nooch Cheese (or sub with your favorite vegan cheese shreds)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato purée* (if you don't want tomato sauce to dip the Calzones in afterwards, half the amount of tomato purée!)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- a few twigs fresh oregano
- olive oil for brushing the top
- For the dough put all ingredients in a kitchen machine or mix by hand and let it rise until it doubles in size, but keep it covered under a clean kitchen towel otherwise the dough will dry out.
- Prepare the Nooch Cheese Sauce.
Preheat the oven as hot at 480°F/250°C.
- Cut the dough in 8 equal pieces and roll them out on a floured surface.
- Clean the mushrooms and spinach, cut the mushrooms in thin slices and put the mushrooms in a hot pan (You want the mushrooms to lose most of their water now, they shouldn't water up the calzone later). Add the spinach to let it cook down.
- For the tomato sauce mix the tomato purée with the salt, ground pepper, fresh oregano, onion powder and liquid smoke. (Adjust the sauce to your taste)
- Spread the tomato sauce over half of the calzone pizzas, add the mushroom-spinach mixture and add the vegan cheese sauce.
- Fold the calzone and press it down on the edges. Fold the edges again and a third time to make it pretty! Repeat until all calzones are fold.
- Brush the calzones with a bit of olive oil and bake them in the oven for about 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Be careful not to burn yourself, they're super hot!
*I used store-bought tomato purée (with salt, no additional herbs) for this recipe - it's often canned or in cartons, not to confuse with tomato paste which is thicker in consistency.
Should you decide to give these Vegan Mini Calzones a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3