For this vegan Chocolate Mousse with aquafaba, you will need only 3 ingredients. It’s the perfect no-bake dessert for Valentine’s Day!
I love a good chocolate mousse. But store-bought mousse is $$ and also not the healthiest. The funny thing is that you can make amazing vegan chocolate mousse with an ingredient that you would normally toss out: chickpea water (aka Aquafaba!).
What I love about this fancy mousse au chocolat is that
- it’s reducing food waste (finally a good recipe to use aquafaba in!)
- it only needs 3 ingredients (chocolate, aquafaba, guar gum – I’ve included alternatives below)
- it doesn’t take long to make: melt chocolate (5 mins), whisk aquafaba (7 min), fold it in and scoop into cups (5 mins) – so 17-20 mins in total. Then you just have to let it set in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight.
- it’s easy to prepare ahead because it keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- it’s healthier than store-bought mousse (mine doesn’t even have added sugar)
What is Aquafaba?
Aquafaba is the fancy term for the liquid in which chickpeas are canned. You probably have tossed it down the drain numerous times. But it’s actually a really useful ingredient because you can whisk it and use it in mousse, ice cream, or even make macarons (although this hasn’t worked out for me yet).
The next time you’re opening a can of chickpeas, save the liquid. You can also freeze it until you’re ready to use it.
How to make vegan chocolate mousse with aquafaba
As always you will find the whole recipe with measurements in the recipe box below but I want to give you an overview of the ingredients and the process with step-by-step photos first.
The ingredients & possible substitutions
You will need:
- Aquafaba (chickpea water)
- vegan chocolate – I used 45% baking chocolate. If you want to use darker chocolate you might want to add 1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar (this goes in together with the guar gum when whipping the aquafaba) to make it sweeter.
- guar gum powder, not super important but helps with keeping the aquafaba stiff; alternatives: cream of tartar or locust bean gum
The basic steps
More delicious vegan recipes with chocolate
- Chocolate Covered Snickers Stuffed Dates
- Peanut Butter Nice Cream with Magic Chocolate Shell
- Vegan Chocolate Pralines
- 20+ Vegan Peanut Butter and Chocolate Recipes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this vegan chocolate mousse with aquafaba as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Vegan Chocolate Mousse with Aquafaba
- 1 cup aquafaba room temperature
- 1 cup chocolate e.g. 45% baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon guar gum *
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate. Then set it aside and let it cool off.
- Whisk (using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer) the aquafaba until it has stiff peaks. Add the guar gum and whisk further. This should take about 7 minutes. This is the most important step, don't rush this.
- Add the cooled-off melted chocolate to the whisked aquafaba and carefully fold (don't mix) it in. The aquafaba will reduce in size, this is normal.
- Divide the chocolate mousse into jars (this works best with an ice cream scoop). Then place them in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Then it's ready to serve. You can add shaved chocolate, whipped cream, fruits or nut butter on top!
- Whisk the aquafaba long enough. It should have stiff peaks. This will take at least 7 minutes.
- Let the melted chocolate cool off before adding it to the whisked aquafaba.
- Let the chocolate mousse set in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- You can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. This also means you can prepare it ahead.