If you’re looking for an excuse to have chocolate for breakfast, you will love these fluffy vegan Chocolate Banana Pancakes topped with homemade chocolate sauce, banana slices, and chocolate chips! They are too good to be true! Except, they are true.
Who doesn’t need an excuse to have chocolate for breakfast every once in a while?! We all have those days.
These Chocolate Banana Pancakes are a dream come true. Thick, fluffy chocolate pancakes with incorporated chocolate chips, topped with thick, fudgy, homemade chocolate sauce, banana slices, and a couple more chocolate chips. You know you want them!
How to make Chocolate Banana Pancakes
For the banana chocolate pancakes you will need:
- almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- maple syrup
- coconut oil
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- cocoa powder
- chocolate chips
The marked ingredients will be needed for the 3-ingredient chocolate sauce as well.
The Basic Steps
Step 1: Mash a banana. Add almond milk, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Whisk.
Step 2: Add flour, baking powder, cocoa powder. Whisk.
Step 3: Fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 4: Brush/spray a pan with oil. Use an ice cream scoop to add the pancake batter to the pan (over medium heat). Do you see the bubbles in the middle and the corners that have set? It’s time to…
Step 5: Flip! Let the pancake cook on the other side until golden. Repeat until you’ve used up the pancake batter.
Step 6: The chocolate sauce couldn’t be any easier. Whisk together melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and cocoa powder. Done.
Step 7: Stack the pancakes. Add the chocolate sauce, banana slices, and a couple more chocolate chips. You won’t regret it!
Do you see the fluffiness?!
WHAT CAN I DO IF MY PANCAKES ARE RAW INSIDE?
If your pancakes are golden brown on the outside but not cooked all the way through, reduce the heat! That way they have more time to cook properly.
WHAT CAN I DO IF MY PANCAKES AREN’T FLUFFY?
Add more baking powder! This will make them fluffier. Mashed bananas + baking powder = are a good recipe for fluffiness! :)
MY PANCAKE BATTER IS SPREADING TOO MUCH/NOT ENOUGH?!
No worries, you can easily adjust the batter! If the batter is spreading too much in the pan, whisk more flour into the batter. If your pancake batter isn’t spreading enough, add a bit more plant-based milk!
ARE BANANA PANCAKES HEALTHY?
These pancakes are made completely without white sugar. They are sweetened only with bananas and maple syrup. So I consider these pancakes to be a much healthier alternative to traditional pancakes. Also, they don’t contain any animal products! And there’s only minimal oil. If you want to make these pancakes even healthier, you can use a mix of spelt and wheat flour or use whole wheat flour.
MORE DELICIOUS VEGAN PANCAKE RECIPES
- Fluffy Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Banana Bread Pancakes with chocolate chunks
- Fluffy Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Plantain Pancakes
- Chunky Monkey Pancakes
- Apple Pie Pancakes
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! Let me know if you give them a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if they are worth a try!
Fluffy Vegan Chocolate Banana Pancakes
Ingredients for the pancakes
- 1 very ripe banana
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk e.g. almond milk
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil + more for spraying the pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (dutch-processed)
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips (dairy-free!)
- In a bowl, mash the peeled banana and add the almond milk, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Give it a quick whisk.
- To the wet ingredients, add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Whisk until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a flat pan or griddle with oil and heat it up to medium to low heat. Add a small ladle of pancake batter*. Let it cook until the middle becomes bubbly and the corners set, then flip with a spatula. Let it cook on the other side until done. Repeat for all the pancakes. You should be able to get 6 pancakes out of the batter.
- For the chocolate sauce, whisk the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and cocoa powder.
- Stack the pancakes, add chocolate sauce on top, top with banana slices and a couple more chocolate chips. Enjoy!
- Flip the pancakes when you see small bubbles in the center.
- If your pancakes are not cooked all the way through but the outside is already browning, reduce the heat!
- Not fluffy enough? Add more baking powder.
- If your pancakes stick to the pan, make sure you use a non-stick pan or griddle and to spray the pan with oil before adding the batter.