I love making quick, easy and inexpensive (sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts!) pestos. My favorite use for homemade pesto is – besides a simple pesto pasta dish – to use them in pinwheels. These vegan Arugula Pesto Pinwheels great snack for parties or lazy days in front of netflix!
Similar to the Wild Garlic Pesto Snails I’ve posted a looong time ago, these Arugula Pesto Pinwheels are perfect for parties. Wild Garlic can be pretty tricky to get, especially if you’re not living in Europe, so I thought it’s time for pinwheels which are made with more common ingredients. So here are the vegan Arugula Pesto Pinwheels with homemade nut-free Arugula Pesto. Easy to make and super delicious!
The base for these Arugula Pesto Pinwheels, is of course Arugula Pesto, doh! The pesto is nut-free, because I’ve used sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts (which are MUCH CHEAPER anyways!).
Once you have the Arugula Pesto ready, the rest isn’t much work. Just roll out the puff pastry, spread the pesto on top while leaving out the bottom, sprinkle with cashew parmesan. Roll it in, cut it up and place it on a baking tray. Bake until golden and they’re ready! Actually they are way too easy. It’s hard not to make them every day :)
Vegan Arugula Pesto Pinwheels
Ingredients for the Arugula Pesto
- 1 1/2 cups arugula
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove , peeled
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
Rest of the ingredients
- 1 package vegan puff pastry*
- 1 tablespoon Homemade Cashew Parmesan
- For the Arugula Pesto, stuff all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Roll out the puff pastry dough.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the arugula pesto on the puff pastry dough, leave out the bottom border.
- Sprinkle the vegan Cashew Parmesan on top.
- Roll the puff pastry dough in and close the edge.
- Cut the puff pastry dough roll in about 25 pieces.
- Place the Arugula Pesto Snails on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place them in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until golden.
- Let them cool off a bit and enjoy!
Did you make these vegan Arugula Pesto Pinwheels? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!