Tofu Katsu is Japanese-style breaded tofu in panko flakes – it’s perfect to eat with rice, noodles, and veggies. This is a vegan version – you don’t need eggs to get the breading to stick!
Katsu in Japanese means ‘cutlet’. Usually, a cutlet of meat or seafood is used, but of course, we are making a vegan version and we’re using tofu!
The cutlet is breaded in Japanese panko breadcrumbs (I am actually using a combination of panko, fine breadcrumbs, and flour because this gives a really nice texture and makes sure that the cutlets are coated well. I am also adding black and white sesame seeds for flavor and looks.
After breading the tofu slices, I pan-fry them. You could also bake them but the breading will get a prettier golden color when it comes into contact with oil.
Tofu Katsu is actually really similar to the German Schnitzel, which is also a cutlet breaded in breadcrumbs. For schnitzel, I usually use seitan because it has a meatier texture.
I have been making this Tofu Katsu a lot in the last couple of weeks because it’s perfect in sushi bowls or sushi sandwiches, over peanut noodles, or with rice/noodles and veggies. It’s quick, easy, and delicious! You will love it!
How to make Tofu Katsu (Breaded Tofu)
The basic steps
How to serve the Tofu Katsu
More Vegan Recipes with Tofu
- Tofu Nuggets (Popcorn Chicken Style)
- Tofu Cashew Curry
- Tofu & Rice Noodle Bowl with Peanut Sauce
- 15+ Easy and Delicious Tofu Recipes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy Tofu Katsu as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Tofu Katsu (Breaded Tofu)
- 8 oz firm tofu cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon plant-based oil e.g. canola oil
Tofu Coating (Egg replacement)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut the tofu in slices (about 1/3 inch = 1 cm).
- Whisk together the ingredients for the tofu coating in one bowl: flour, water, salt.
- In another bowl combine the ingredients for the tofu breading: flour, panko breadcrumbs, fine breadcrumbs, white and black sesame seeds, and salt.
- Bring a pan with oil to medium to high heat.
- Dip each tofu rectangle first into the tofu coating, then into the tofu breading, then place them into the pan and pan-fry them for 4-5 minutes on each side until crispy and golden.