These Peanut Noodles with tofu are the perfect creamy comfort food! You only need a couple of ingredients and it is so quick and easy to make! You will love it!
I love, love, love simple foods. And I also love comfort food. And in this dish, everything that is good is coming together.
Pan-fried tofu in soy sauce combined with wheat noodles tossed in creamy peanut-wasabi-sauce and then topped with roasted, salted peanuts and sliced scallions.
It’s such a simple meal, super easy and quick to make, but also a satisfying, belly-hugging-kinda dish.
What I love about this dish:
- It’s so easy. Boil the noodles. Cook the tofu until crispy. Mix the peanut-wasabi-sauce. Add everything together. Yumm!
- These noodles are super versatile, not only can you add different veggies (broccoli, carrots, peas,.. ), you can also swap out the protein source (tempeh, soy chunks, or seitan instead of the tofu).
- It’s well balanced. It has protein (tofu), it has carbs (noodles), it has fat (peanut butter).
- It’s so quick to make! While the noodles are boiling, you can pan-fry the tofu and whisk together the sauce.
- You can enjoy it either hot or cold. If you want it cold, just rinse the noodles with cold water after boiling them.
How to make Peanut Noodles with Tofu
The ingredients & possible substitutions
You will need:
- noodles – I use flat wheat noodles from the Asia market that only consist of wheat, water, and salt. You can also use udon noodles (super thick wheat noodles), rice noodles, those thin mie noodles (careful, some contain eggs), or some similar to that.
- tofu – I use medium-firm tofu. You don’t have to add tofu. You can also add seitan, tempeh, veggies, or nothing at all. Peanut noodles on their own are delicious as well!
- soy sauce – I use salt-reduced soy sauce. If you’re using salty soy sauce you can start with less and add more to taste.
- wasabi paste – you don’t have to add it. You can substitute it with sriracha sauce, or chili sauce, or omit it if you don’t like a little kick.
- oil, water
- toppings: I added chopped roasted, salted peanuts and thinly sliced scallions on top
The basic steps
As always, you can find the full written recipe below but I want to show you the basic steps with photos first.
More Vegan Tofu Recipes
- 15+ Easy and Delicious Tofu Recipes
- Tofu Nuggets (Popcorn Chicken Style)
- Vegan Palak Tofu Paneer
- Tofu & Rice Noodle Bowl with Peanut Sauce
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy these Peanut Noodles with Tofu as much as I do! Let me know if you give them a try!
Peanut Noodles with Tofu
- 4 oz flat wheat noodles
Ingredients for the tofu
- 7 oz medium-firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons plant-based oil (e.g. canola, sunflower, peanut,..)
Ingredients for the peanut sauce
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi more or less to taste
- 3 tablespoons water start with just a little and add more if needed
- 2 tablespoons roasted and salted peanuts chopped
- 2 tablespoons scallions thinly sliced
- Boil the wheat noodles in water until soft. Meanwhile, let's prepare the tofu and sauce.
- Cut the tofu into triangles. In a pan over medium to high heat, add the oil, soy sauce, and tofu. Place the lid on top of the pan or else it will get messy. Let the tofu pan-fry for about 4 minutes on each side or until it gets golden and crispy.
- For the peanut sauce, whisk together the peanut butter, wasabi paste, soy sauce, and water until smooth. You can add more water to thin it out or more peanut butter to thicken it up.
- Once the noodles are soft, drain them and toss the noodles in the peanut sauce, serve them with the tofu. Sprinkle the roasted peanuts and sliced scallions on top and enjoy!