These stewed apples with maple syrup and salted butter make the perfect topping for pancakes, overnight oats, and porridge.
These Stewed Apples are easy to make, smell amazing, and are the perfect topping for pancakes.
Unlike other stewed apple recipes, these aren’t too sweet because I’m not using any white sugar. They are sweetened only with maple syrup. The salted butter adds richness and helps to bring out the sweetness even more. Cinnamon powder is a must-add spice for anything apple-related. Period.
You will LOVE this recipe because:
- you’ll only need 4 ingredients – minimal ingredients!
- you’ll only need one pot – minimal clean-up!
- it’s super versatile – add it as a topping on pancakes, crepes, porridge, overnight oats, cakes, vanilla ice cream or use it as a filling for apple turnovers or apple pie. So many possibilities!
- it’s flavorful and caramelly. Thanks to the combination of salted butter and maple syrup, it will taste like caramel and the whole kitchen will smell like apple pie.
I love, love, love these stewed apples warm, fresh out of the pot. But you can also prepare them in advance and keep them in the fridge for up to three days. You can always reheat them in a pot or microwave. When reheating, you might want to add a splash of water to make them juicier again.
I don’t think there is any better topping for my applesauce pancakes than these stewed apples with maple syrup and salted butter.
How to make Stewed Apples
You will need:
- one apple – red, sweet apples such as Red Delicious, Gala, Pink Lady are a great choice!
- salted vegan butter – you can also use unsalted butter and add a pinch of salt extra.
- maple syrup
- cinnamon powder
The basic steps
Stewed apples are really easy to make. As always you’ll find the whole recipe at the end of the post but I want to show you the step-by-step photos first.
More delicious recipes with apples
- Vegan Applesauce Pancakes
- Vegan Apple Fritter Rings
- Apple Roses (Vegan, 5 ingredients only)
- Vegan Apple Pie Waffles
- Spiced Russian Apple Punch
- 3-ingredient Apple Strudel (+Video)
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy these stewed apples as much as I do! Let me know if you give them a try!
If you don’t want to miss out on new recipes, sign up for my weekly newsletter, join me on Instagram and Facebook.
- 1 red apple (e.g. Red Delicious, Gala, Pink Lady, …)
- 2 tablespoons vegan salted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Cut an apple into small evenly chunks. I leave the skin on but you are free to remove it if you prefer it that way.
- In a small pot over low heat, melt the butter, add in the maple syrup and cinnamon powder. Give it a quick whisk.
- Add the apple chunks into the pot and stir.
- Keep it on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until the apples are soft.
- Then you can use the warm stewed apples immediatelly or fill them into a jar and keep them in the fridge for up to three days.