If you’re looking for an easy but fancy looking dessert, look no further than these Apple Roses! They are super quick to make and you’ll only need 5 ingredients! I’ll show you how to make them!
After watching the idea of Apple Roses go through various cooking groups, social media and youtube videos, I thought I’d try it myself making a vegan version. There are so many different variations out there (with or without jam, cooking the apples before baking them, glazing the apples with egg white,…) but this version is a very quick one! You don’t need to cook the apples, so that’s definitely a time saver.
Ingredients for the Apple Roses
- vegan puff pastry dough
- white sugar
- an apple
- and powdered sugar (for dusting)
Vegan Puff Pastry
Depending on where you live, vegan puff pastry might not be the easiest ingredient to get. Here in Austria, we are lucky that most of the puff pastries are accidentally vegan – some brands even embrace it and include the vegan label on the packaging, which makes it even easier to spot the vegan ones. In the US, Pepperidge Farm’s puff pastry dough should be vegan. I’d always recommend checking the ingredients though – just to be sure.
How to make Vegan Apple Roses
- 1 package vegan puff pastry dough*
- 1 apple
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon white sugar (make sure it's vegan!)
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Take the vegan puff pastry dough out of the fridge to thaw.
- Slice the apple with a mandoline slicer or cut by hand in very thin slices.
- When the puff pastry dough is thawed, roll it out and cut it in 6 strips with a pizza slicer.
- Sprinkle the vegan sugar and cinnamon evenly on the pastry dough.
- Place the apple slices on the pastry dough strips and roll it in like in the pictures above.
- Fold in the bottom and make it smooth.
- Place them in a muffin tin and put it in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Once they are done, take them out of the muffin tin, because when they're cooled off it's harder to get them out.
- Dust the Apple Roses with powdered sugar before serving.
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make these vegan Apple Roses? Leave a comment and please rate the recipe for other users! If you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3
This post was first published on July 8, 2017. Updated on May 6, 2018.