If you’re looking for an easy but fancy looking dessert, look no further than these Apple Roses! I’ll show you how to make them!
After watching the idea of Apple Roses go through various cooking groups, social media and youtube videos, I thought I’d try it myself making a vegan version. There are so many different variations out there (with or without jam, cooking the apples before baking them, glazing the apples with egg white,…) but this version is a very quick one! You don’t need to cook the apples, so that’s definitely a time saver.
- 1 package vegan puff pastry dough*
- 1 apple
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vegan sugar I used Dextrose**
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar for the dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Take the vegan puff pastry dough out of the fridge to thaw.
- Slice the apple with a mandoline slicer or cut by hand in very thin slices.
- When the puff pastry dough is thawed, roll it out and cut it in 6 strips with a pizza slicer.
- Sprinkle the vegan sugar and cinnamon evenly on the pastry dough.
- Place the apple slices on the pastry dough strips and roll it in like in the pictures above.
- Fold in the bottom and make it smooth.
- Place them in a muffin tin and put it in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Once they are done, take them out of the muffin tin, because when they're cooled off it's harder to get them out.
- Dust the Apple Roses with powdered sugar before serving.
*Dimensions: 16x9 inches or 42x24 cm. A lovely reader told me that Whole Foods has a vegan puff pastry dough (usually near the ice cream section).
**I've used Dextrose in this recipe which is a fructose-free sugar, but you can sub it with your preferred granulated sweetener.
Should you decide to give these apple roses with puff pastry a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3