Apple Fritter Rings were one of my childhood favorites! But you don’t need eggs or dairy to make them. These Vegan Apple Fritter Rings taste just like the real deal (if not better!). Served with an Almond Maple Sauce – this is a match made in heaven!
I remember coming home from school and my mom made apple fritter rings for lunch – I know! Not the healthiest lunch but I loved sweet lunches as a child. It was the best thing ever.
Usually, there are eggs or milk or both in the batter, but in this version, you won’t find any of that. And the batter is just as fluffy and crisp – you wouldn’t know the difference!
For this easy batter you will only need:
- baking powder
- plant-based milk
- and sparkling water
Sounds easy, right? Well, it is! I bet you even have all the ingredients at home right now!
With only one apple, you will get about 12 apple fritter rings – depending on how thick you slice the apple. I’ve cut it thin enough, so it doesn’t take too long to get soft when fried, but thick enough so it doesn’t break in the batter (it should hold the batter with no problems).
Serve the Apple Fritter Rings with…
I’ve sprinkled the apple fritter rings with powdered sugar (classic!) and served it with – what I like to call – Liquid Gold. It’s a sweet dipping sauce made out of white almond butter (it’s made out of blanched almonds – therefore the beautiful golden color!), maple syrup and water. You just have to whisk everything together. It’s really easy and quick to make and it tastes so good! Really…like liquid gold!
Vegan Apple Fritter Rings
Apple Fritter Rings
- 1 apple (I used a slightly sweet apple like Pink Lady)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar (make sure it's vegan!)
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk (I used unsweetened rice coconut milk)
- 1/3 cup sparkling water
- frying oil
- powdered sugar (to sprinkle on top)
Almond Maple Dipping Sauce
- 1 tablespoon white almond butter (made with blanched almonds)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- Peel the apple and remove the core with an apple corer*. Cut the apple in about 12 rings.
- For the batter, combine the flour, baking powder, and sugar. Add the plant-based milk and sparkling water and whisk together. If you dip an apple slice into the batter, the batter should stick to the apple but it shouldn't be too thick. Add more water if it's too thick. Add more flour if it's too runny.
- Heat the frying oil in a pot (just enough so that the apple rings can swim in the oil). Fry each apple ring dipped in the batter for about 3-4 minutes - until golden and crispy. If they brown too quickly, then your oil is too hot, reduce the heat a bit.
- Transfer them to a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- For the Almond Maple Dipping Sauce, whisk together all the ingredients.
- Sprinkle the Vegan Apple Fritter Rings with powdered sugar and serve with the Almond Maple Dipping Sauce!
Did you make these vegan Apple Fritter Rings? Leave a comment and please rate the recipe for other users! If you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3