There’s nothing better than a stack of tangy Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes on a beautiful spring weekend. Drizzle them with maple syrup and enjoy!
Every year when spring comes around, I have the most intense cravings for all things tangy, zesty, and lemony. I feel like every season has its own flavors (watermelon for summer, lemon for spring, cinnamon for winter, mhh what’s for fall? pumpkin spice?).
And now with the temperatures rising, I had to make a spring-appropriate version of pancakes. Lemon and Poppy Seeds are a classic combination and so, so good!
How to make vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
The ingredients & possible substitutions
You will only need 7 ingredients:
- flour – I am using all-purpose wheat flour
- baking powder
- poppy seeds
- plant-based milk – e.g. rice milk, almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, whatever you have at home!
- maple syrup – you could also use rice syrup
- freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- oil – I am using canola oil that is flavored with vegan butter aroma (delicious!) to brush the pan with – you can also use any kind of neutral, plant-based oil such as sunflower, coconut oil, … or skip the oil if you have a good, non-sticky pan!
I’ve topped the stack of fluffy Lemon Poppy Seeds with a slice of lemon and drizzled everything with maple syrup. You could also add fresh fruits or make a simple lemon glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice, and a splash of plant-based milk.
The basic steps
Making vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes is super easy! As always, you can find the whole recipe below in the box but I want to show you the basic steps with step-by-step-photos first.
Frequently Asked Questions – Pancakes
If your pancakes are golden brown on the outside but not cooked all the way through, reduce the heat! That way they have more time to cook properly.
Add more baking powder! This will make them fluffier. If they don’t rise at all, maybe the baking powder has expired.
No worries, you can easily adjust the batter! If the batter is spreading too much in the pan, whisk more flour into the batter. If your pancake batter isn’t spreading enough, add a bit more plant-based milk!
More delicious vegan Pancake Recipes
- Banana Bread Pancakes with chocolate chunks
- Fluffy Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Plantain Pancakes
- Chunky Monkey Pancakes
- Apple Pie Pancakes
- or see all my pancake recipes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy these Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes as much as I do! If you like them, please let me know. It always makes my day to hear good reviews!
I’m on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube! Let’s connect <3
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2/3 cup plant-based milk I used rice milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup + more to drizzle on top
- oil for the pan
- In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and poppy seeds. Give it a whisk.
- Then add the plant-based milk, lemon juice, and maple syrup. Stir until combined. Try not to overmix.
- Brush/spray a pan with oil. Use an ice cream scoop to add the pancake batter to the pan* (over low to medium heat). When you see bubbles in the center of the pancakes it’s time to flip. Let the pancake cook on the other side until golden. Repeat until you’ve used up the pancake batter.
- Stack the pancakes and drizzle them with maple syrup. You can also add a slice of lemon, if you're feeling fancy!
- Flip the pancakes when you see small bubbles in the center.
- If your pancakes are golden brown on the outside but not cooked all the way through, reduce the heat!
- Not fluffy enough? Add more baking powder.
- If your pancakes stick to the pan, make sure you use a non-stick pan or griddle and spray the pan with oil before adding the batter.