This recipe for vegan Spinach Spaetzle is not only easy to make but also rich in iron and calcium. The Spaetzle are served with a delicious cheese sauce and fried onions. A great German/Austrian dish veganized!
Spaetzle are a very popular dish in the german-speaking area. Spätzle or often called Knöpfle, are normally made with a lot of eggs, so I was pleasantly surprised that it worked that well, when I made a vegan version of it. I do have another Spaetzle Recipe on the blog, but this one is a tiny bit adapted and it’s with Spinach! Yumm! Also I’ve been trying to cook with ingredients that do have a lot of iron. I love the green color of the Spaetzle. ^.^
I’ve added some cheese shreds & a little bit of soy cuisine to the Spaetzle afterward to make a creamy, dreamy cheese sauce. And, of course, some fried onions on top! Alternatively, you can serve the Spaetzle with a simple soy cream sauce, add them to Goulash, … There are a lot of possibilities, but I really love Spinach Spaetzle with vegan cheese!
This is the consistency the dough/batter should have. It’s a sticky, slimy & gooey dough, but this one works best! Oh, and look at the vibrant color ^.^
If you have a Spaetzle Maker, you won’t have any problems making the Spaetzle and it’s very easy. However, there are different devices you can use: A Spaetzle Board, a Spaetzle Press, a Spaetzle Lid or like I did, a Spaetzle Maker.
Ingredients for the spinach spaetzle
- 2 cups all-purpose-flour
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup water + more for boiling the spaetzle
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
Ingredients for the cheesy sauce
- 1/2 cup of your favorite vegan cheese shreds I used Wilmersburger
- a splash of soy cuisine Alpro
- salt to taste
- 1/2 onion
- Fill a large pot with water until it's 3/4 full and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile wash the spinach and put it in a blender along with the cup of water and blend until completely smooth and thin.
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl, add in the spinach water, salt & pepper and whisk until it's a sticky dough (like in the photo above).
- Once the water is boiling you can place the Spaetzle Maker on top of the pot.
- Fill it the Spaetzle Maker with the dough and move the it up and down until all the dough is pressed into the water. (Depending on the size of your Spaetzle Maker you may have to make the Spaetzle in two rounds)
- The Spaetzle will swim on the surface once they are done (which should be in a minute or two).
- Use a skimmer to transfer the Spaetzle in a drainer, pour some cold water over them to prevent them from sticking together, drain and carefully add them in a hot, lightly oiled pan.
- Cut the onion in rings and fry the rings in a separate pan.
- Add the cheese shreds and a splash of soy cuisine to the Spaetzle and stir. Add salt to taste.
- Once the cheese melted the dish is ready to serve.
- Transfer the Spinach Spaetzle on a plate and top with the fried onions.
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make these vegan Spinach Spaetzle? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!