Recipe for vegan Whole Wheat Seed Crackers served with homemade Guacamole. Perfect for parties or as a snack. With pumpkin, flax and sunflower seeds.
This is an adaption of the Cheesy Poppyseed Crackers Recipe. As some asked me if they could substitute the white flour with another flour, I’ve now made an even healthier Crackers Recipe with 100% Whole Wheat Flour and Seeds! For the seeds I used a mixture of Pumpkin, Flaxseed and Sunflower Seeds! The Crackers are really yummy and they don’t taste as healthy as they are. I promise.
Tips for making the perfect crispy crackers
- The consistency of the dough: Flour, water, even altitude matter when making the dough, so it’s best to trust your instincts a bit when making the dough. Add water until you can make a smooth dough. If you’re not sure, it’s best to make it too wet than too dry, you can always work more flour into the dough while rolling out the crackers. A wetter dough is easier to roll out than one that is hard and crumbly.
- The cracker thickness: Roll out the dough as thin and as even as possible. This ensures even baking! If they are not thin enough, they will be rather chewy than crispy. The best way to do this is to roll out the dough on a lightly floured parchment paper, cut them, and then carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto the baking sheet. It also helps if you take your time rolling out the dough..sometimes it looks like it doesn’t get any thinner. Then I walk away for one minute and come back..then the dough has relaxed a bit and can be rolled out easier and thinner.
- Rolling pin: A proper rolling pin helps a lot with rolling the dough evenly. It works best with a large rolling pin with rotating handles.
- Baking times: All ovens are different. Keep a close eye on them if you make them the first time. If a few of them start to puff up a bit, that’s a good sign! They should get slightly golden/brown. If you’re not sure, they should be crispy to the touch.
Cutting them with a pizza cutter is the easiest and fastest method. Cut the rolled out dough lengthwise and widthwise! Don’t worry if the pieces have different sizes, I think it looks great and gives it an additional homemade touch. But make sure they all have same thickness in order to bake them evenly.
These Crackers are so easy and they take only about 25 minutes to make! Perfect for spontaneous guests or as a snack!
Whole Wheat Seed Crackers
- 1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons mixture of sunflower, pumpkin and flax seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- In a bowl add in the dry ingredients, mix and then add in the wet ingredients. Mix and knead with your hand until it's a smooth dough.
- On a lightly floured parchment paper, roll out the dough as thin and even as possible.
- Cut it with a pizza cutter length- and widthwise. Carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto a baking sheet.
- Bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes (until they get crispy).
- Serve for example with some Homemade Guacamole. Enjoy!
Did you make these vegan Whole Wheat Seed Crackers? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!