These Crispy Fried Brussels Sprouts with Sriracha Mayo are the perfect appetizer/snack for all Brussels Sprouts lovers! They are crispy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth-sprouts in the center.
There’s is one vegetable, that I cannot walk by in the store without buying it. I get it EVERY SINGLE TIME. And this vegetable is Brussels sprouts. I know, right, this must come as a total surprise to you because this post is all about my favorite new snack: Crispy Fried Brussels Sprouts.
So when I went to a farmers market (which is just around the corner of my new apartment – lucky!) and I saw this huge Brussels sprout stalk it was a no-brainer for me to get it. It was only 3€ (3-4$). Did you know Brussels sprouts grow like that? I didn’t!
How to make Crispy Fried Brussels Sprouts
Pan-Roasted Brussels Sprouts in Soy Sauce are my go-to recipe for preparing Brussels sprouts but I really wanted to try something new, so I first steamed the Brussels sprouts, then coated them in a batter and breading and fried them. And the result was AMAZING.
The batter (acts as an egg-replacement) is super easy to make, it’s just regular all-purpose flour, spices, and sparkling water. For the breading, I’ve used a mix of fine breadcrumbs and panko flakes (for a super crispy texture!), salt, and my favorite seasoning ever: Za’atar.
What is Za’atar?
Za’atar is a traditional herb and spice blend of the Eastern Mediterranean cuisine. It’s a mix of dried sumac berries, marjoram, thyme, basil, oregano, white sesame seeds, and Himalayan pink salt. There are a few different za’atar spice mixes out there, but basically, these are the usual ingredients. You can find Za’atar in most supermarkets in the spice section or order it online.
If you don’t have Za’atar at home, you can use YOUR favorite spice mix. A simple paprika powder, garlic powder, and salt will work too!
I’ve drizzled store-bought Sriracha Mayo on top, which happens to be vegan.
You can also make your own vegan mayo following this recipe. To make it Sriracha Mayo, I’d recommend adding 1/4 teaspoon of sriracha. Of course, you can adjust the spiciness to your preference.
Crispy Fried Brussels Sprouts
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts cleaned (approx. 20 Brussels sprouts)
- frying oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/3 cup sparkling water
- Steam the Brussels sprouts for about 15 minutes until soft.
- In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the batter. In a second bowl, combine the ingredients for the breading.
- Heat the frying oil in a pot or wok (add enough so that the Brussels sprouts can swim in the oil, but don’t fill the pot more than half full).
- Dip each Brussels sprout first into the batter, then in the breading and carefully lower it into the hot frying oil. It should only take 1-2 minutes for them to get a crispy and golden outer layer. Transfer them to a plate lined with kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- Drizzle the Breaded & Fried Brussels Sprouts with store-bought or homemade Sriracha Mayo. Enjoy!