Everyone deserves an awesome Chocolate Explosion every once in a while. Should you feel sad, this will make it better. Should you feel awesome, you’ll feel even more awesome afterwards! This ostentatious Chocolate Lovers Cake with Banana Ice Cream and Chocolate Hard Shell looks not only decadent, it’s heaven – actually chocolate heaven. The chocolate cake is fluffy and soft – like it should be, the banana ice cream – the perfect addition to the cake and chocolate hard shell – well it’s really hard to describe how heavenly this cake is! You have to try it yourself.
I’ve used my smallest springform pan for this cake – it’s 5.5 inches, 14cm. This recipe is perfect for 3-4 people, but my boyfriend and I were able to finish the cake alone – with no problems at all! It’s so fluffy and deliciously chocolate-y.
What I love about the chocolate cake is that it’s a one-bowl-cake. Simply whisk all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and add in the wet ingredients and whisk again! Simple as that. I don’t have a dishwasher, so I try not to make a huge mess in my kitchen.
For the Chocolate Hard Shell I’ve used Vivani‘s 70% vegan couverture and I loved it! I’ve melted it in a double boiler and slowly drizzled it over the ice cream. It took only a few seconds to harden and created a nice hard shell.
- ¾ cup / 100g all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup / 50g Dextrose*
- ½ teaspoon / 3g baking powder
- ½ teaspoon / 3g baking soda
- 1½ tablespoons / 10g cocoa powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon / 15g melted Coconut Oil
- ½ cup / 120g almond milk (I used sweetened)
- ½ teaspoon / 3g Coconut Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon / 1g vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, frozen & in chunks
- ½ cup / 30g vegan couverture (I used Vivani's 70% couverture)
- Pre-heat oven to 360°F/180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients for the Chocolate Cake, whisk, then add all the wet ingredients and whisk again until it's a smooth batter.
- Fill the batter in the baking form and put it in the oven for about 15 minutes. (Use the Toothpick Method to make sure the dough is done in the middle.)
- Let the cake cool off completely.
- In a double boiler heat the couverture slowly, meanwhile prep your ice cream.
- For the ice cream simply put the frozen banana chunks in your food processor or high-speed blender and blend or chop until it's a perfectly smooth ice cream - don't give up! It may take a while, but it will get there.
- Place the ice cream on the cake & top it off with the melted chocolate. You'll have a hard Chocolate Hard Shell in a couple of seconds!
- Enjoy your delicious chocolate treat!
*I've used Dextrose in this recipe which is a fructose-free sugar, but you can sub it with your preferred granulated sweetener.
Should you decide to give it a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^