With a few simple ingredients you can make delicious homemade crackers. Top them with za’atar seasoning and you have the best Za’atar Crackers ever! Serve with hummus and you’ll be in foodie heaven.
Oops, I did it again. The whole cracker family just got a bit bigger. Say hello to our newest member, Za’atar Crackers :D
If you’ve been following the blog, you probably know that I love making homemade crackers because they are so easy to make and I know exactly what’s in there. Plus, there are endless possibilities of add-ins and toppings. And if that wasn’t enough you can always play around with different dips to serve.
I’ve topped these crackers with za’atar, which is my favorite spice mix right now. I always get in the mood for mediterranean foods when it’s warm.
Watch how to make vegan Za’atar Crackers – Recipe Video (2.5 min)
So what is Za’atar?
Za’atar is a traditional herb and spice blend of the Eastern Mediterranean cuisine. It’s a mix of dried sumac berries, marjoram, thyme, basil, oregano, white sesame seeds and himalayan pink salt. There are a few different za’atar spice mixes out there, but basically these are the usual ingredients. You can find Za’atar in most supermarkets in the spice section or order it online.
How to make homemade crackers
This is the way to snacking heaven:
- Mix and knead a dough by combining flour, baking powder, salt, olive oil and water.
- Roll the dough out as flat as you can.
- Add herbs or spices if you want to. At this step, I’ve brushed the top with water and maple syrup so that the spices don’t fall off the crackers once they’re baked.
- Bake it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until crispy. Let them cool off a bit.
Check out the detailed recipe below!
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
In a mixing bowl add in the flour, baking powder, and salt, whisk and then add in the olive oil and water. Mix with a large wooden spoon until it comes together and knead with your hand until it's a smooth dough. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- On a floured baking sheet roll out the dough until as thin as possible and evenly. Use more flour if you need to.
Mix 1 tablespoon of water with 1 teaspoon of maple syrup and brush the top of the crackers with it. Then sprinkle the za'atar seasoning on top.
- Cut it with a pizza cutter length- and widthwise into individual crackers.
Bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes until they get crispy and golden brown. Let them cool off a bit before digging in. They're delicious with homemade hummus.
To store them: Let them cool off completely, then put them in an air-tight jar. This way they should stay crispy and delicious!
Did you make these Vegan Za’atar Crackers? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!