Recipe for a vegan Tarte Flambée (Flammkuchen) with caramelized onions, smoky tempeh bits, and avocado. It’s like the summer version of pizza!
Tarte Flambée or “Flammkuchen” in German is a traditional dish from Alsace (a region in France). It is rather popular in the south of Germany as well. It is traditionally made in a wood-fire oven. But that didn’t hold me back from making my own vegan Tarte Flambée at home in a regular oven! I’ve used a chickpea creme for the base, added some caramelized onions and smoky tempeh bits on top & of course avocado! I sprinkled it with lemon juice and sea salt – it was so good, you have to try it! It’s sweet from the caramelized onions, smoky from the tempeh, creamy because of the chickpea spread & avocado and fresh and light from the lemon juice.
The whole idea of making Tarte Flambée came to me because I was having one a few months ago in a restaurant. They had a vegan Tarte Flambée with a chickpea (or bean ?) spread and some carrots & beets on top. It was tasty and delicious and somehow I feel like Tarte Flambées are the summery versions of pizza, because they’re lighter and fresh and so pretty!
Vegan Tarte Flambée
Ingredients for the dough
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients for the top
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (and more to sprinkle on top)
- 2 onions
- 2 inch -piece tempeh
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 avocado
- For the pizza dough, put all the ingredients in a kitchen machine or mix by hand and let it rise until it doubles in size.
- Caramelize the onions by slicing them thinly and cooking them in a pan on medium heat along with a teaspoon of oil. Stir every 10 to 20 minutes. The whole process will take about an hour - don't rush it! Add a few teaspoons of water when the onions will stick to the pan. Set the onions aside.
- Preheat the oven to 480°F/250°C.
- Prepare the chickpea spread by processing the chickpeas together with a teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add water until it reaches the consistency of hummus.
- Cut the tempeh in small bits and pan-fry them until nicely browned and crispy. Add the Liquid Smoke & a dash of salt.
- Roll out the dough base as thin as possible.
- Spread the chickpea spread on top and place the tarte flambées in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Take the Tarte Flambées out, top them with the caramelized onions and tempeh bits and put them bake in the oven for about 2 minutes.
- Peel the avocado and cut it in slices and add it to the Tarte flambée before serving.
- Sprinkle with additional lemon juice and sea salt and enjoy!