Are you having friends over and you want to serve something quick, delicious, and crowd-pleasing? Then you have to make these Vegan Spinach Pinwheels! It’s finger-food at its best!
I’m all for quick and easy recipes, bonus points if the outcome looks like you have been slaving away in the kitchen for hours! And in this case, puff pastry is the way to go.
So if you’re having friends over, pinwheels are the perfect snack to serve because they are cute, finger-food-friendly, you can fill them with whatever you have at hand. Want some ideas?
- Vegan Pizza Pinwheels with olives
- Vegan Pumpkin Basil Pinwheels
- Vegan Arugula Pesto Pinwheels
- Wild Garlic Pesto Pinwheels
BUT for this recipe, I’ve filled them with spinach, mixed with caramelized onions and garlic, and crumbled vegan (feta) cheese. It is such a good combo! They are really juicy and flavorful.
Even my omnivore parents loved them, so that means they are crowd-pleasing, hah!
How to make Vegan Spinach Pinwheels
As always, you can find the whole recipe in the box below but I want to give you an overview of the needed ingredients and instructions with step-by-step photos first.
You will need:
- puff pastry (I am using Tante Fanny Dinkel Blätterteig)
- frozen spinach
- vegan cheese/feta (I am using Simply V Hirtengenuss; you could even make your own Baked Almond Feta)
The basic steps
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy these Vegan Spinach Pinwheels as much as I do! Let me know if you give them a try!
Vegan Spinach Pinwheels
- 9 oz frozen spinach
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package vegan puff pastry dough*
- 1/3 cup vegan feta cheese
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Cook the frozen spinach until soft. Then drain it and squeeze out excess water.
- In a pan with canola oil, cook the diced onion and minced garlic until translucent and golden over medium heat. You can add a splash of water if it browns too quickly. (Takes about 5-7 minutes)
- Combine the drained spinach with the onion and garlic mixture, add the salt, and let it cool off.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Roll out the puff pastry. Spread out the spinach mixture on the puff pastry but leave the bottom quarter empty. Add the crumbled vegan feta on top. Then roll in the puff pastry.
- Once it’s all rolled in, cut it into slices. About 1 cm thick. I got 20 slices out of my puff pastry roll.
- Place the pinwheels onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake them at 350°F/180°C for 10-12 minutes.
- Once they are cooled off a bit, they are ready to serve! Enjoy!