You can make really easy and delicious vegan gyros using soya chunks. It’s perfect for a gyros platter with rice and yogurt sauce or in wraps!
This recipe is inspired by my daily walks with Miso. A greek restaurant opened right around the corner of my place, so I walk past it daily. The restaurant itself is not really interesting to me because it’s non-vegan BUT apparently my brain thought: ‘mmhhh gyros.’. And this planted the seed for this vegan version of gyros.
I am using soya chunks, which have a great texture for these kind of ‘meaty’ dishes. And they don’t taste like much to start with, which is great, because then we have full control of all the flavors we want to add.
I am a huge fan of soya chunks/curls/all kinds of textured vegetable protein (TVP) because
- it can be stored at room-temperature like forever,
- it is inexpensive,
- it expands when cooked, so it doesn’t need much space when storing it
- and it’s super versatile!
How to make Vegan Gyros with Soya Chunks
You will need:
- soya chunks or soy curls or some kind of soy strips
- plant-based, neutral oil such as canola oil or sunflower oil
- spices: paprika powder, salt, dried thyme, whole caraway seeds
The basic steps
As always you can find the whole written recipe in the box below but I want to show you the basic steps with photos first.
More Vegan Recipes with Soya Chunks/Soy Curls/TVP
- What is TVP and How to Use It + Best Vegan Recipes with Textured Vegetable Protein
- Vegan Bacon Bits (made with TVP)
- ‘Meaty’ Vegan Chili con TVP
- Vegan Schnitzel
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this vegan gyros recipe using Soya Chunks as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Vegan Gyros with Soya Chunks
- 1/2 cup soya chunks
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons plant-based oil divided, start with a little and add more as needed
- 1/2 onion sliced in half-rings
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon mild paprika powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon whole caraway seeds
- First we are going to boil the soya chunks in water until soft. You can use a pan or a pot. Then drain them and press out excess water and set them aside.
- In a pan with a little oil over medium heat, add the sliced onion and a bit of salt, let it cook until soft.
- Then add the minced garlic, whole caraway seeds, let it cook further for just a minute or two.
- Then make some room in the pan for the soya chunks, add those with paprika powder, salt, thyme and a bit more oil. Stir. Bring the heat to high and let it cook until the soya chunks are starting to brown and get a bit crispy on the sides. You might have to add a bit more oil to help them brown. At this point you can also add more salt and other spices to taste.
- And done! The gyros is perfect for a huge gyros platter with parboiled rice and yogurt sauce or you can also add it into wraps or on salad.