Ever since I’ve made the Chocolate Lovers Cake, I knew the combo of cake basis, ice cream in the middle and chocolate on top (which transformed into a chocolate hard shell) just worked. These vegan & gluten-free Coconut Matcha Ice Cream Cakes are like mini version of regular ice cream cakes – but way healthier!
Since I’ve received my Coco Jack and have been opening young thai coconuts like 24/7, I’ve had an enormous amount of young coconut meat. One can only make that much coconut milk, so I was looking for more ways to use the delicious coconut meat in recipes. And these ice cream cakes are the perfect treat.
Actually these ice cream mini cakes are super easy to make when you have a food processor (for the base) and a high speed blender (for the ice cream layer). The hardest part is to keep them in the freezer for about 5 hours and not eat them before that :) The chocolate topping comes on the ice cream layer shortly before serving. It will transform into a chocolate hard shell in a few seconds.
- ⅓ cup almonds, preferably blanched but I used unblanched and it worked too
- ¼ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons organic rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil + a bit more for coating the forms
- Coat the ramekin forms* lightly with coconut oil.
- Put all the ingredients for the base in a kitchen processor and blend until the mixture starts to form little clumps. Put the crust mixture in the forms and press it down with a spoon.
- Fill the coconut meat, water, organic rice syrup, shredded coconut and matcha in a high speed blender** and blend for about 1-2 minutes until completely smooth. Fill the mixture into the ramekins. Place them in the freezer for about 5 hours or overnight.
- Once the coconut matcha layer is frozen, heat the chocolate chips or baking chocolate in a double boiler until melted. While the chocolate melts, carefully go around the edges with a knife and let the ice cream cake slide out of the ramekin. Top the ice cream cakes with the melted chocolate and flatten it a bit with the spoon. Let it thaw for about 10 minutes and then dig in :)
If you make these Coconut Matcha Ice Cream Cakes, I’d be so happy if you’d leave me a comment. Should you post a photo of it on instagram, please use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan. I loooove to see all your lovely creations! Thanks <3