These Sushi Rice Balls with Peanut Wasabi Dip are the perfect, healthy snack. They are also the ideal take-to-work/school/uni food!
I love all things sushi – but I can’t remember the last time I actually made sushi rolls because it’s always so frustrating. The sushi falling apart, not being able to cut them probably, there are so many things that can go wrong when making sushi.
That’s why I learned to satisfy my sushi cravings by making sushi-style dishes that use ingredients like sushi rice, nori, sesame seeds, and sometimes avocado or tofu, but without the rolling.
In the summer months, I’m basically living off sushi bowls, but now I’ve made something simpler and quicker that also tastes just like sushi: Sushi Rice Balls with Peanut Wasabi Dip.
How to make Sushi Rice Balls
As always you will find the whole recipe with measurements in the box below but I want to give you an overview of the key ingredients, variations, and the process with step-by-step photos first.
For the sushi rice balls you will need:
- sushi rice
- sushi seasoning (or you can make your own by mixing rice vinegar with salt, and sugar)
- white sesame seeds
- black sesame seeds
- nori flakes (blitz a nori sheet in a blender or cut it with a scissor)
For the Peanut Dip you will need:
- peanut butter (I use peanut butter made with 100% roasted almonds, no added sugar, salt, or additives)
- soy sauce
- water (enough to thin it out to a good dippable consistency)
The basic steps
More Recipes Like This
- Veggie Summer Rolls with Peanut Wasabi Sauce
- Soba Noodles Summer Rolls
- Vegan Parmesan Crusted Peanut Butter Onigiri (Japanese Rice Balls)
- Vegan Sushi Bowl
- Teriyaki Jackfruit Sushi Bowl
- Pickled Ginger
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy these Sushi Rice Balls as much as I do! Let me know if you give them a try!
Sushi Rice Balls with Peanut Wasabi Dip
Sushi Rice Balls
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sushi seasoning + more to taste (or you can make your own by mixing rice vinegar with sugar and salt)
- 3 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons nori flakes (to make this blitz a nori sheet in a blender or cut it with a scissor)
Peanut Butter Wasabi Dip
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- For the sushi rice: Wash the rice in a large bowl or sieve a couple of times until the water stays pretty clear. Cook the rice in an instant pot (with the white rice setting) or in a rice cooker. Once the rice has cooked, add the sushi rice seasoning, give it a mix, and let it cool off.
- In a bowl, combine the white and black sesame seeds and nori flakes.
- Form little sushi rice balls and roll them in the sesame seeds and nori flakes until they are coated on all sides.
- For the Peanut Butter Wasabi Dip: In a bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, wasabi, and soy sauce and thin it out with the water until it has a good dipping consistency.
- Dip the Sushi Rice Balls in the Peanut Wasabi Dip and enjoy.