If you’re looking for a simple veggie-filled meal, then this is it! Just prep the veggies and bake them in the oven. Done and done. You will love the flavorful, seasoned with ras el hanout, soft flesh of the eggplant and the crispy skin!
It took me some time to get used to the consistency of eggplant, but now I love the different textures you get when you bake eggplant halves in the oven. Soft, squishy flesh and crispy skin… there aren’t many vegetables like this.
I love adding lots of flavor to the eggplant flesh. Spices mixes like Ras el Hanout, Za’atar, or Garam Masala are a great option! In this case, I’ve used Ras el Hanout seasoning, which is commonly used in the North African cuisine.
There is no fixed list of ingredients, the blends vary from brand to brand, but typical ingredients include cardamom, cumin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, allspice, ginger, chili, coriander seed, fenugreek, and turmeric.
How to make Oven-Roasted Eggplant
You will need:
- eggplant (1/2 for 1 person)
- olive oil
- ras el hanout seasoning (or any other seasoning you prefer!)
The basic steps
Step 1: Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, then cut a diamond pattern into the flesh. Mix the oil with the ras el hanout and brush the eggplant flesh with the seasoned oil. Add a sprinkle of salt.
Step 2: Transfer the eggplant to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. You can also add potatoes and leeks (add the leeks in the last 5 minutes of baking). Bake the eggplant (and potatoes) for 30 to 45 minutes until soft in the middle and crispy on the top.
You can serve the roasted eggplant with potatoes, leeks, and soy yogurt sauce (like I did) or couscous, quinoa or rice would be other options.
The potatoes and leeks are really simple to make. Just cut them in pieces, toss in oil and salt and bake in the oven with the eggplant. I’ve added the leeks only 5 minutes before everything is done, otherwise, they would get too brown.
For the soy yogurt dip, I’ve seasoned unsweetened soy yogurt with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Easy as that.
If you’re looking for more roasted eggplant recipes, I have a Middle-Eastern Inspired Eggplant with Raisin Walnut Rice recipe in my first cookbook – The Veginner’s Cookbook.
More Vegan Recipes with Eggplant you will love
- Vegan Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich with Smoked Tofu
- Vegan Whole Wheat Roasted Veggie & Tempeh Pizza
I hope you will enjoy this Oven-Roasted Eggplant seasoned with ras el hanout as much as I did! Let me know if you give it a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it is worth a try!
Oven-Roasted Eggplant with Ras El Hanout
- 1/2 eggplant
- 2 teaspoons ras el hanout
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Wash the eggplant and cut it in half lengthwise. Carefully cut a diamond pattern into the eggplant flesh.
- Combine the oil with the ras el hanout seasoning. Brush the eggplant half with this mixture, sprinkle with salt and place them flesh-side up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes until soft and golden on top.