Recipe for oven-baked Plantain Chips, served with a Cilantro Lemon Dip. Such a yummy snack! They’re naturally vegan & gluten-free.
I’ve got a new addiction – and it’s plantain chips! It all started with store-bought plantain chips and me wanting to create a healthier version – not fried in oil. Turns out, plantain chips are great to bake in the oven as well.
This recipe is a very basic one, with only a bit of added salt. I love the natural sweetness of the plantains mixed with the salt. These plantain chips are naturally vegan & gluten-free.
The Cilantro Lemon Sunflower Seed Dip is also gluten-free and nut-free; it’s the perfect addition!
These oven-baked Plantain Chips are super easy to make. Peel, slice, coat, and bake. Easy as that. I’ve used a ripe plantain for this recipe, this means the skin is not entirely black but got some brown & black spots already. You can get plantains in Asia markets or maybe even in Asian aisles in supermarkets. They are larger than regular bananas and starchier – which makes them perfect for chips.
Oven-Baked Plantain Chips with a Cilantro Lemon Dip
- 1 ripe plantain*
- 1 drizzle coconut oil
- 1 pinch salt
- To serve: Cilantro Lemon Sunflower Seed Dip
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Peel the plantain and cut it in thin slices.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet, drizzle with coconut oil and salt and mix until coated evenly. Lay them flat on the baking sheet and put them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. They should be brown and crispy on the sides.
- Serve, for example, with a homemade Cilantro Lemon Sunflower Seed Dip!
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you give these oven-baked Plantain Chips a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3