Recipe for a crispy, yeast-free, vegan Sesame Flatbread. It’s the perfect bread to enjoy with hummus or to serve with soups! So easy to make and it’s quite addictive!
This crispy Sesame Flatbread is perfect to snack in the morning with some homemade Hummus (or any other spreads). I have to warn you though.. the flatbread is really addictive. You can also serve it with soups or any kind of stews, curries – it’s the perfect addition! This flatbread never lasts long in our household because it’s just too good not to eat it all in one day.
This recipe allows many variations. You can use different flours (spelt, whole-wheat, ..) or simply make your own mix of flours. Instead of sesame seeds, you could also use flaxseeds or dried herbs. But I’m sure you’re thinking of even more possible variations.
Watch how to make Crispy Sesame Flatbread – Recipe Video (1.5 min)
You should end up with a dough looking like this! Depending on the flour you’re using, you might have to add a bit more water or flour to the dough to end up with this non-sticky dough.
Roll, roll, roll :)
Roll the dough out as thin as possible. Only that way it will get evenly crispy and it bakes really fast!
I’ve cut away the frizzy edges, so that the flatbreads are prettier. I baked them with the flatbread and snacked them too. They are like flatbread-breadsticks!
This is how your flatbread should look like after baking. It has gotten some golden spots on the surface and they are perfectly crispy. Let them cool off before you eat them, though. Hot!
Crispy Sesame Flatbread
- 1⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons each of black and white sesame seeds
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup water
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- In a bowl add in the dry ingredients, mix and then add in the wet ingredients. Mix and knead with your hand until it's a smooth dough. You may have to add a bit more water or flour to reach a perfect non-sticky dough like in the photo.
- On a lightly floured baking sheet roll out the dough as thin as possible. Make sure it's evenly thin so it bakes evenly.
- Cut around the frizzy corners with a pizza cutter and then divide the dough into separate flatbreads. You can make them bigger, longer or whatever you want!
- Bake them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes (until they get crispy and golden spots).
- Serve for example with some homemade hummus or with soups. Enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you give this crispy Sesame Flatbread a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3