Easy vegan Almond Cake with Chocolate Coating and topped with sliced almonds. So soft and delicious, vegans and omnivores love it!
If you like almonds as much as I do, you have to try this cake – because this cake is pure almond goodness! It has ground almonds and almond milk in the cake itself and it is topped with even more sliced almonds.
I love adding ground nuts to cakes (and muffins and pancakes) because it does not only add a nice flavor but also lifts up the texture.
This Almond Cake with Chocolate Coating is
- vegan (and therefore completely dairy-free and egg-free)
- super easy to make!
- made without hard-to-get-ingredients. All of the ingredients are staple ingredients that pretty much anyone has at home anyways!
I made this cake when my parents came to visit and they loved it! This simple Almond Cake is so soft and fluffy. I’m sure you’ll love it! :)
How to make cake without eggs or dairy…
Lately, I’ve got asked a quite often how I bake cakes without animal products. It’s not difficult at all! And I don’t do much different except I substitute the milk with plant-based milk (almond milk or a mix of rice and coconut milk are especially great for cakes!) and leave out the eggs. Adding mashed bananas or a bit more baking powder does the trick! In some cakes, you can also use apple purée instead of eggs.
I baked the cake in a loaf pan, but you can also use a round cake pan or brownie pan! If your cake is not as high (when the baking pan is wider), keep a close eye on the cake because the baking time won’t be that long. You can always use a wooden toothpick to check if the cake is baked all the way through.
Vegan Almond Cake with Chocolate Coating
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 banana , peeled and mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil + more for brushing the loaf pan
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk
Chocolate Coating and Almond Topping
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Mix the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the mashed banana, vanilla extract, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar and almond milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine.
- Pour the cake batter in a lightly oiled loaf pan.
- Place the cake in the oven for about half an hour. Use the toothpick method to check if your cake is baked all the way through.
- When the cake is cooled off, heat the chopped chocolate in a double boiler (or microwave) and add the coconut oil.
- Coat the cake with the chocolate and top it with sliced almonds. Refrigerate the cake for about an hour until the chocolate coating is hardened before serving.
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this Almond Cake with Chocolate Coating? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!