Recipe for a vegan Fig Rosemary Garlic Focaccia – super flavorful, easy to make and a great addition to any kind of pasta or risotto dishes!
This was such a good summer! I was able to harvest my first figs – 3 to be exact – from the tiny fig trees I have on my rooftop terrace, which was an amazing feeling! Figs are definitely not one of my favorite fruits, but they always taste 1000 times better when they’re are home-grown. My fig harvest wasn’t bountiful, so I always eat them straight from the tree. Good for me, my work colleague has a much bigger fig tree and when she brought me some figs, I knew I wanted to use them in a recipe this time.
This mediterranean-inspired Fig Rosemary Garlic Focaccia was the perfect way to make the most out of the figs. While the bread is absolutely delicious on its own, it’s also the perfect addition to any kind of pasta dishes (such as this Avocado Basil Cream Pasta, Mediterranean Pasta with Almond Feta, Purple Spaghetti Bolognese or Quick Date Night Pasta with Asparagus and Cashew Parmesan) or risottos.
Vegan Fig Rosemary Garlic Focaccia
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + more to dust the dough and surfaces
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white sugar (make sure it's vegan!)
- 3/4 tablespoon olive oil + more to coat the dough and brush the flatbread
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 2 figs , sliced
- 4-5 sprigs rosemary
- 1 garlic , peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pinches flaked sea salt
- Combine the flour, instant yeast, salt, and white sugar in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil and water. Mix and knead by hand until a soft dough firms or put all the ingredients kitchen machine and let the machine knead the dough for you. If it's too sticky, you might want to add a few tablespoons more flour until the dough is non-sticky.
- Drizzle the dough with more olive oil until coated. Let it sit, covered unter a clean kitchen towel, in a warm spot until it doubles in size (about 2-3 hours - depending on the room temperature!).
- Preheat the oven to 250 °C or 480 °F.
- Divide the risen dough into two parts. Roll them out (to about .8 inches / 2cm thick) on a lightly floured parchment paper. Brush each focaccia with olive oil. Add the sliced figs, rosemary sprigs and sliced garlic. Press them into the flatbread just a bit. Sprinkle the focaccias with flaked sea salt.
- Transfer everything (on the parchment paper) on a baking tray and bake them in the oven for about 10-12 minutes until golden brown on the edges.
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make these vegan Fig Rosemary Garlic Focaccias? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see them :)