Make your own healthier version of Bounty / Mounds at home! For these gluten-free and vegan Bounty Bars you’ll only need 6 basic ingredients.
Guys!! These are the bomb! They are a vegan & healthier version of Bounty. I’ve made a soft coconut bar and coated with chocolate. They are so good, my boyfriend and I actually couldn’t stop eating them, I had to be really fast to save a few to make some photos for the blogpost and to share the recipe with you.
It all started by receiving a Coconut Bar by a lovely friend (Thank you Bianca, my dear namesake ! ^.^), which I tried to replicate. It had a harder consistency but was very simplistic too with only three ingredients. Then I figured it would be much better with a chocolate coating (because everything is better with chocolate?!). As I wished the original coconut bar was a bit softer I simply added some coconut milk into my mixture and voilà: the vegan and healthier version of Bounty was born.
I haven’t eaten a “real” Bounty in a long time (because dairy), so my memory of it is rather blurry but I think my version is softer and I love it that way, but if you want to make them a bit firmer just add a bit less coconut milk and more coconut oil.
Not only are they super quick to make (20 minutes work + leaving them in the fridge for a couple of hours) but they only need 6 basic ingredients! Simple and quick – yeay – means more time for other stuff (like chilling in the sun, starting a new show on netflix (what are you watching right now??) or scrolling continuously through the facebook feed for the xth-time).
Vegan Bounty Bars
Ingredients for the coconut bars
- 2 cups shredded coconut + more to sprinkle on top
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or rice syrup)
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
Ingredients for the chocolate coating
- 1 1/2 cups baking chocolate or chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients for the coconut bar and mix and knead them with your hands until you can form the bars.
- Put the bars on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer for an hour or in the fridge to harden for a couple of hours or overnight.
- For the chocolate coating, heat the baking chocolate together with the coconut oil and whisk until smooth and liquid.
- Dip the coconut bars into the chocolate until they are coated with chocolate from all sides. Sprinkle with more shredded coconut. Put them in the fridge again until the chocolate is hard and then they ready to eat :)
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make these Vegan Bounty Bars? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!