Recipe for a super fluffy vegan Rhubarb Crumble Cake – all dairy-free and egg-free. One-bowl vanilla batter + soft rhubarb + golden crumble on top = YUM!
May I present the fluffiest vegan Rhubarb Crumble Cake ever! This cake has everything you want: a super simple one-bowl vanilla base, soft rhubarb pieces in the middle and perfectly golden homemade streusel on top. The sweet vanilla base and streusel will balance out the rhubarb’s tartness. This is the ultimate spring goodness cake.
Cut the rhubarb in small pieces and sprinkle them with sugar. Let them sit for about 20 minutes. In this time, the rhubarb will get softer and lose some of its water. Drain the rhubarb before pouring it onto the cake batter.
Here’s everything we need: Rhubarb on the left, the one-bowl vanilla batter on top and homemade streusel in the middle. These simple streusel will make the perfect topping for our crumble cake and they are so easy to make!
The baking dish I used is 10×8 inches. The cake is big enough for 6 portions.
- 1/2 stick cold vegan butter (EarthBalance, Alsan,...)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 stalks rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- For the RHUBARB: Wash, peel and cut the rhubarb stalks in pieces. Put them in a bowl, and sprinkle them with 1 teaspoon of white sugar or your preferred granulated sweetener. Let them sit for about 20 minutes.
- For the simple one-bowl VANILLA BATTER: Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C. Place all the dry ingredients for the cake base in a mixing bowl and combine, add the wet ingredients and whisk until it's a smooth batter.
- For the STREUSEL: Put the cold butter, all-purpose flour and sugar in a bowl, mix and knead with your hands until crumbly.
- ASSEMBLE and BAKE: Oil the baking pan lightly and pour in the cake batter. Drain the rhubarb and spread the pieces evenly onto the cake better. Sprinkle the crumble on top. Bake it in the oven for about about 25 minutes. When the crumble is nice and golden, your cake is ready.
My baking pan for this cake was 10x8" / 26x20cm.
If you give this vegan Rhubarb Crumble Pie a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3