Vegan Blue-Berry Pancakes that are naturally colored with blueberries. They are topped with fresh blueberries and maple syrup. Easy to make and great for kids!
Lately, I’ve been craving pancakes like a crazy person (did you see my Banana Bread Pancakes or these Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancakes??). I just love the big stacks of fluffy, pillowy pancakes, drizzled with maple syrup. I hope this phase of mine will never stop.
These Blue-Berry Pancakes are:
- vegan (dairy-free and egg-free)
- oil-free (the batter is oil-free you’ll only need oil for the pan if it’s not a non-stick one)
- blue (weird, I know)
- naturally colored with blueberries
- super fluffy and soft
How to make Blue Ombre Pancakes
When I made these, I actually made them ombre, so that they have different shades of blue. The batters are greyish-purple, but they will turn blue once heated.
I’ve included the detailed instructions on how to make the pancakes ombre in the notes of the recipe below. I didn’t want to blow up the regular recipe and make it too confusing for those, who just want blue pancakes and don’t care about the different shades because they are very subtle.
Basically, you want to mix the dry ingredients, then divide them into three parts in separate bowls. As for the liquid ingredients, put the plant-based milk in a blender and add 1/2 teaspoon of frozen blueberries, blend and use 1/3 part of the colored milk for the first pancake batter. Then add more frozen blueberries, and use half of the remaining liquid for the second. Then again, more frozen blueberries and this one will be the liquid for the third batter. You can adjust the batters by adding a bit more milk if they are too thick.
If your pancakes are golden brown on the outside but not cooked all the way through, reduce the heat! That way they have more time to cook properly.
Add more baking powder! This will make them fluffier. Mashed bananas + baking powder = are a good recipe for fluffiness! :)
No worries, you can easily adjust the batter! If the batter is spreading too much in the pan, whisk more flour into the batter. If your pancake batter isn’t spreading enough, add a bit more plant-based milk!
Yes, the pancakes use very little oil to begin with, so you can easily omit it but they will look different on the outside because I’ve been spraying/brushing the pan with oil.
Vegan Blue-Berry Pancakes Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk – I used sweetened vanilla soy milk*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons frozen blueberries , divided if you make the pancakes ombre **
- baking spray
- maple syrup for drizzling on top
- 1/4 cup blueberries for garnish
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl, give it a quick whisk. (To make the pancakes ombre**, I’ve included instructions in the notes.) In a blender, add the plant-based milk and the frozen blueberries – blend and add the mixture to the dry ingredients. Whisk until incorporated. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Spray a flat pan or griddle with oil and heat it up to medium to low heat. Add a small ladle of pancake batter. Let it cook until the middle becomes bubbly and the corners set, then flip with a spatula. Let it cook on the other side until done. Repeat for all the pancakes.
- Now, let’s stack the pancakes, garnish with fresh blueberries, drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy!
Did you make these vegan Blue-Berry Pancakes? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see them :)