Recipe for an alcohol-free, yeast-free and low-fructose Ginger Beer. Normally it takes 2-3 days of waiting time but this is a much quicker alternative!
I’ve found a new love: ginger beer. It’s relatively expensive here (about 3-4€ for a small bottle) and it contains sugar, so I was eager to try a version of my own and it worked really well! It is alcohol-free, yeast-free and low-fructose. Ginger beer is often made with yeast and needs 2-3 days of waiting time to ferment, but I wanted to create a quicker version (and I don’t trust yeast in drinks).
It’s actually a ginger syrup, then mixed with sparkling water. The Ginger Beer tastes really good and refreshing, perfect for hot summer days or for cocktails. The ginger syrup lasts for about 5-8 drinks, depending on how much syrup you’re using – it’s really up to your preference.
You’ll only need 3 ingredients for the Ginger Syrup itself – Ginger, a sweetener (I used dextrose which is a fructose-free sugar) and water. Simple as that.
I’m actually just drinking a glass while writing this post. Totally worth making it. So refreshing, but I’ve always been a huge fan of ginger, so that’s nothing new.
- 1 large ginger root
- 3/4 cup dextrose*
- 2 cups water
- sparkling water
- Peel the ginger and then slice it with a vegetable peeler into super thin strips.
- In a pot heat the water, the dextrose and add the ginger. Mix.
- Let it boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the water reduces by half.
- Fill everything in a jar, let it cool off and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, take out the ginger slices. Don't toss them, they are perfect for some Homemade Pickled Ginger.
- Fill about one tablespoon of ginger syrup in a glass and add in some sparkling water. Adjust the amount of water and syrup to your preference.
- Store the rest of the syrup in the fridge.
Estimated Nutrition Info
Should you decide to give it a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^