This Blueberry Gin Fizz with homemade blueberry syrup is the perfect fancy cocktail for dinner parties. You can even make different syrups for everyone to try.
I love hosting parties and testing out new snack and cocktail recipes on my friends. I think they don’t mind :). Lately I’ve been really into making my own syrups.
Homemade syrups are easy to make, you can use them in cocktails or on pancakes (if the syrup is a bit thicker) and you can get really creative with mixing different flavors.
For this fancy Blueberry Gin Fizz cocktail I’ve made my very own blueberry syrup with frozen blueberries (hence the dark and intense color). Making syrup from scratch is really easy, you only need sugar and water for a base version. I’ve added frozen blueberries and lemon zest for the flavor and color. 4 ingredients! That’s all you need for a delicious homemade blueberry syrup.
The blueberry syrup can be prepared up to a week in advance. You could also experiment with different fruits such as raspberries, strawberries or mango and make a couple of syrups for your guests to try out and enjoy!
When you make this recipe, you will end up with leftover blueberry chunks. But don’t worry, we are not letting them go to waste. I’ve included a quick recipe for a Zero-Waste-Jam in the recipe’s notes.
Readers from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, hop on over to the german version of this recipe to win a SodaStream Sparkling Water Maker.
Blueberry Gin Fizz
Blueberry Syrup (0,25l)
- 1 cup white sugar (make sure it's vegan)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from an organic lemon)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
Ingredients for the cocktail (per glass)
- 2 ice cubes
- 3 cl gin *
- 2/3 cup sparkling water
- 3 cl blueberry syrup
- fresh blueberries and lemon slices for garnish
- Pour the sugar and water in a medium sized pot and bring it to a boil on medium to high heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the lemon zest and frozen blueberries and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Mash the blueberries with a fork or a potato masher.
- Once the mixture thickens a bit, pour the blueberry syrup carefully through a sieve to remove blueberry chunks. Then you can fill the blueberry syrup in a clean glass bottle.
Blueberry Gin Fizz
- For each Blueberry Gin Fizz, add two ice cubes, gin, sparkling water and the blueberry syrup to a glass. Garnish with fresh blueberries and lemon slices and enjoy (responsibly)!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Have you tried the Blueberry Gin Fizz? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan so that I don’t miss it! :)